Toronto 34-50 King East | 112.36m | 33s | Larco | a—A

A second OMB prehearing is scheduled for January 17, 2018, and a mediation is scheduled for February 20, 2018.

This report recommends that City Council state its intention to designate the property at 50 King Street East (which includes the entrance address at 2 Toronto Street) under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act and to grant authority to enter into a Heritage Easement Agreement.

[...]

The property at 50 King Street East is a contributing property in the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Heritage Conservation District (HCD) adopted by City Council. The owner proposes to conserve the Quebec Bank and the west addition, and has agreed to enter into a Heritage Easement Agreement with the City of Toronto.

Link: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-114080.pdf

CanLII just released details of the August meeting:

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onlpat/doc/2018/2018canlii94283/2018canlii94283.html

Had to do some digging for the settlement documents. They were made public back in May. Scroll to the bottom for the confidential attachments:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.CC41.7

Other than a reduction (from 6 to 4 metres) in the horizontal projection that cantilevers over the heritage structure, there doesn't appear to be any major changes. Larco will work out Section 37 and Heritage Easement Agreements with the City.
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.30 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.12 AM.png
    308.2 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.30 AM.png
    321.3 KB · Views: 1,221
Yayyyyy another flat glass facade at street level :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I never understood this argument. What's wrong with having completely transparent lobby walls? If anything, the street feels more spacious as the result since your vision is not confined only to the sidewalk. Go stand in front of the 10 York lobby, for example, to see what I mean. The street feels way more spacious since the lobby of that building almost feels like a public art contribution to the street. If that building had opaque street level walls, the entire sidewalk would feel crammed.

I think this is a very good looking building that has the right scale , colour to compliment the historical neighbours, height for the edge of the financial district, and treatment as it connects to the sidewalk.

Yayyyyy another flat glass facade at street level :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I never understood this argument. What's wrong with having completely transparent lobby walls? If anything, the street feels more spacious as the result since your vision is not confined only to the sidewalk. Go stand in front of the 10 York lobby, for example, to see what I mean. The street feels way more spacious since the lobby of that building almost feels like a public art contribution to the street. If that building had opaque street level walls, the entire sidewalk would feel crammed.

There's a sterility to flat, glass facades that's certainly deadening to the street. Especially when facade after facade gets the same treatment.

The problem is that creative spaces (for lack of a better term) are difficult to lease as tenants don't want to deal with anything jagged or obtuse along their primary frontage. Flat glass is also the cheapest solution for the developer. From that perspective, it's win-win.

Back