Toronto 34-50 King East | 112.36m | 33s | Larco | a—A

Unfortunately, a retrofit to the lobbies of both buildings—which created a shared, central space—has long since stripped away much of the original character. With the quality of space already greatly diminished, the financial feasibility of retention (already a difficult and expensive undertaking) could prove questionable from a market perspective. Given these limitations, the proposal presented may indeed offer a viably effective heritage strategy for the site.

Never say never.

At least the facade of 36 King East should be kept as an attractive instance of the International style.

I really like this project, particularly the maintaining and restoration of the corner heritage structure as a stand alone building and not just reducing it to a simple facade incorporated into the new build. This heritage building will really anchor the site and the juxtaposition of the new and old structures creates some interesting visual tension. My only regret is the loss of the mid century office blocks. It may be difficult for some of us to appreciate these buildings now, as they might seem a bit ugly and outdated by today's standards but if we continue to pull these buildings down, then soon there might not be any of them left. They represent a very real period in Toronto's architectural history and evolution, and future generations may regret their loss just as many of us today regret the loss of the old Board of Trade Building or the old 8th post office on Adelaide St.

Last edited:
Looks like a very mature mixed-use project that uses datums from its neighbours to great effect- it makes it feel very contextual. The physical model really flatters the project compared to what we saw before - I'm liking it.

PJ8rdk4.jpg

1BZBQlV.jpg

Don't be snarky, but you would think that this being so close to Yonge and in the CBD, they would go higher,
Gee, is everything planned east of Yonge always going to be put under a microscope??

I don't think anyone is building on vanity. They''re all investments. Why go higher if 33 storeys is sufficient? Sometimes you just need 80.

Last edited:
The Site Plan Application of September 20 comes with new renderings. They are now in the database file for your viewing pleasure. Pretty rare to get a Site Plan Approval application when the zoning is off to the OMB, I think. The Request For Direction report includes the suggestion that in advance of the OMB dates the City try to iron out the issues with the developer, which on the report's first page are summarized as "The proposal's overall height and massing does not fit within its existing and planned context as required by the Official Plan. The proposal's massing is also not consistent with the policy direction of the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Heritage Conservation District Plan in conserving the area's heritage resources.". (The next pre-hearing is January 17, 2018.)

Back