Toronto 34-50 King East | 112.36m | 33s | Larco | a—A

Looks good to me as well. I'm not bothered by the cornice stopping where it does. I'm more interested in the overall synthesis of the old and new and how smartly it comes off.

Resubmission from March 22, 2021:

The renderings are the same as the previous set. A couple drawings of the base:

South elevation

kinge.JPG

West elevation
kinge2.JPG

That red doesn't really fit in there.

Actually, it looks okay.

Last edited:
The syncopated-grid pattern on the lower floors is just relentless, and since it’s probably going to be precast, the material won’t have any texture, either. This is something aA often gets wrong and it ought to be fixed.

This is something aA often gets wrong and it ought to be fixed.

This reality is extremely frustrating; aA does fairly consistently very good work, save for the experience at grade, which is most often a large, flat expanse of curtainwall. Lifeless, sterilizing, and uninteresting. I really wish they'd fix that as a firm, but the fact they keep repeating it over and over -- and for different clients -- indicates to me that they actually don't think it's a problem (which is itself a problem).

I love when cornices are restored, it makes me very happy. Now I agree with many that the treatment is odd, but at the same time the renders omit the fact that the two halves of the structure aren't actually flush, so perhaps the cornice won't look as jarring. Now if they are planning on reconstructing the facades to be flush, it is a little odd. Guess we'll see.

Oh, and colour. Terracotta too. Between this and that other project with the teal terracotta, it makes me hopeful that we're slowly breaking free from the deluge of expressionless glass facades.

Does anyone have an update on this development? Is it going to happen? Concerned resident living directly across from this location...

Does anyone have an update on this development? Is it going to happen? Concerned resident living directly across from this location...

The zoning here is approved. A settlement offer was accepted back in 2018. So it is highly likely that some variation of this development will for forward at some point.

Why the SPA has not yet been issued I'm not sure, but I would assume, absent evidence to the contrary that that will be forthcoming.

However, absent an issued SPA, and with no permits applied for or pulled, nothing would seem to be imminent.

Back