Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

no i dont live in Toronto. so i dont know what happened to it. it was a beautiful builidng.

first it collapsed and then burned down a year later. thats sad.

edit: ProjectEnd your post 707 has 13 words and your post 710 has 17 words, you could have answered me in just two words "burned down". anyways thanks. :) peace

Last edited:
Curious to all those poo pooing this: can you elaborate on what you think would better fit here? Just wondering if people want something that does backflips or just something with a more straightforward concept and better detailing?

Curious to all those poo pooing this: can you elaborate on what you think would better fit here? Just wondering if people want something that does backflips or just something with a more straightforward concept and better detailing?
I think people are looking for something more.. interesting. Nobody is upset about the internals, which seem pretty reasonable and well designed, just the facade expression. Lots of opportunities to keep the building's functionality while still creating something a little nicer to look at. Perhaps some brick designed into the podium levels as a nod to the properties former occupant, and something a little more interesting than randomly shifting pre-cast columns and wrap transparent balconies on the tower portion.

Like above, I think it's just rather uninspired. The podium is messy and genuinely uninviting (no clear entrance, no clear hierarchy of levels), the tower itself is copy/paste of so many other window-walled/wrap around balcony condos. Add onto all of that it's across from a stunning piece of architecture that amplifies all these shortcomings. I also lament this idea of "infill" and especially on a street like Yonge and so close to the heart of the city. It's just a lazy design that doesn't deserve to be in such a prominent spot.

Better detailing is a big part of it for sure. This thing manages to look extremely cheap in the renderings, which doesn't bode well for when it actually gets built. The actual specs of the tower (unit layout, roughed in subway connection, etc) are pretty solid, but the packaging is so incredibly generic for such a prominent location. It's basically the stereotype of a Toronto condo building. Window wall with too many mullions, wrap around frosted balconies, blank glass wall at grade.

I don't think most people are expecting a "world-class" masterpiece here, but something along the same level of quality and design as 411 Church doesn't seem that unreasonable of a request for a location like this.

Everyone is talking up the internals of the building being alright, but even that I find a little uninspired for this specific site. This is not some infill site, it is the gateway to the Ryerson campus. A stereotype of a Toronto condo building is not what I am looking to see here.

I would love to see the podium levels interact with the Ryerson campus. The Yonge Street frontage could be retail, but behind that Yonge Street frontage I am seeking something like the interiors of the new Daphne Cockwell building, the space programming of the planned Ryerson building at Jarvis (see thumbnail below), and at the very least additional seating for students to work like the ground level of the Ryerson Image Centre. The podium floors would be a good opportunity to secure more classroom space for Ryerson, or offices for the DMZ.

1574373974555.png

As for the tower, I am not even sure if a high-rise residential tower is the optimal fit for the site context. The scaling of the SLC sets a good precedent and I would be happy to see that matched at 335 Yonge. So yeah, bottom line I would much rather this site be dedicated towards institutional use.

Something with a podium that mimics the old building that was there maybe just a basic form of it. The corner part?? Throwing ideas out there..

Something with a podium that mimics the old building that was there maybe just a basic form of it. The corner part?? Throwing ideas out there..

Awkward with a 30s tower right behind it - nevermind doing that will eat into the floor of the tower even more. Forget about mimicking the old Empress Hotel. What it should do is respond to SLC across the street (planes of the facades, negative spaces, drama of entrances in relationship to the future public function)

Oh and just to jog everyone's mind of the circumstances leading to the fire and afterwards:

AoD

Last edited:
Awkward with a 30s tower right behind it - nevermind doing that will eat into the floor of the tower even more. Forget about mimicking the old Empress Hotel. What it should do is respond to SLC across the street (planes of the facades, negative spaces, drama of entrances in relationship to the future public function)

AoD
There are things that are possible, [rightly] expected even, in institutional buildings, that are just not possible in tight-sited, commercial infill.

Back