Toronto 3315 Midland | 10.5m | 3s | 3315 Midland Avenue | Sandra Iskandar Architect

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A report to the next Scarborough Community Council on Feb 26th, 2021 proposes to designate (legally protect due to historical value) an old farm house in Scarborough located at 3315 Midland (sortof)

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/sc/bgrd/backgroundfile-163486.pdf

I'm sympathetic to protecting architectural history, if only to add some flavour and variety to areas dominated by more contemporary and often bland buildings.

But this one strikes me as an odd choice.

Its a small farm house, that's largely hidden from public view.

While the driveway fronts Midland; the view of the home is mostly obstructed by fencing and a 3-storey commercial building closer to the street.

The building in question, which was modest, if quaint, has also been severely molested by the removal of its front porch.

To me, preserving this location would be about celebrating its role in the community, or at the very least, letting the public see the thing, in something resembling its historical state.

Here we seem to moving to preserve a building that is barely visible to the public, in a molested state, of questionable repair.

Making the building visible again, would likely mean removing the current commercial building on the site; and making it park/part of the yard............but that building provides an important community service.

I could support this move; but I would love to see a coherent plan around restoration and view-ability.

Hmmm

At any rate, some pictures and history from the report:

What it used to look like:

1613250304383.png
'

What it now looks like:

1613250336942.png

The view of the property from Midland; tucked behind the commercial building:

1613250394699.png

Side view, from the side street:

1613250437409.png

Description and Statement of significance:

1613250532798.png

Finally, lets have a look at this Aerial photo from 1971.......only a short few years before my time on the planet began.................

This area of Scarborough, still mostly farmland..........

1613250669504.png

Last edited:

Back