Toronto 330 Richmond | 93.57m | 27s | Greenpark | Core Architects

71DDD58E-6BB4-4862-86BC-D2AC6AEABA4C.jpeg

Attachments

• 71DDD58E-6BB4-4862-86BC-D2AC6AEABA4C.jpeg
    71DDD58E-6BB4-4862-86BC-D2AC6AEABA4C.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 645
Reactions: PMT
does anyone think that the lot in the foreground along Adelaide Street would ever get redeveloped into a tower or is it orphaned?

I've looked at it for a few people. It's very small and you're not going to get a decent plate with the tower separation to the Bond, but as values continue to rise, that will matter less and less.

Things will get even tighter when RioCan moves on their plans for RioCan Hall.

...oops, I've said too much...

I've looked at it for a few people. It's very small and you're not going to get a decent plate with the tower separation to the Bond, but as values continue to rise, that will matter less and less.

Things will get even tighter when RioCan moves on their plans for RioCan Hall.

...oops, I've said too much...

Nice. If done right, the redevelopment of RioCan Hall will do wonders for Richmond and John. I can see a hotel-mixed use complex on top of the existing theatre. Hopefully the public realm improves too because at the moment the sidewalks are extremely tight and the building really doesn't respond well to such a lively and bustling location

The building is very much a product of its time (late 90s). The area was just gaining new legs thanks to the Kings changes and Festival Hall, as it was then called, helped breathe an influx of people into the area.

It's interesting to think of how differently the project would be approached today. There likely wouldn't be theaters and no venue (Playdium, C!rca, Marshall's space), but the retail and a couple of towers would certainly be the part of the plan.

Some old photos:

s1465_fl0051_id0034.jpg

s1465_fl0051_id0037.jpg

s1465_fl0051_id0036.jpg

Very cool indeed! I have to say that the venues and theatre provide a good anchor and serve both residents and visitors of the neighbourhood and it would be unfortunate to lose that (i'm a regular at the goodlife there too). That said, big box retail is most suited for Richmond given the alternatives being King and Queen Street. Thanks for the photos and info @ProjectEnd

One of the things I love is that "Tons of Parking" is an advertised feature of the building...

Especially considering how many lots existed in those days in the area.

That was Toronto of that time though.

Toronto of the 90's and early 2000's was way more car reliant and spread out than it is today - the character of the city has really changed since then.

Even today, going to see a movie by car is surprisingly affordable. Scotiabank theatre has $5 parking other than friday and saturday nights, and Varsity has $3 parking during the same times.

It's weird seeing archival photos from the late 90s. So many great memories at that theatre, but redevelopment makes absolute sense given how much the neighbourhood has changed. It will be tough living without a theatre in the area for years while this is being redeveloped though.

Yonge-Dundas isn't too far. Ciniplex already splits major releases between the two, so depending on what show you want to see, you may have to go to a different theatre.

Back