Toronto The Pemberton | 215.79m | 68s | Pemberton | a—A

From last year:

Reminds me of the crappy retail in the Aura condos but ever so slightly less crappy...
I'm also glad it's gone. But I've long had a soft spot for the 60-80s era retail that winds through Yorkville. It's like stepping into a time machine, and there's something comforting about it.

I'm also glad it's gone. But I've long had a soft spot for the 60-80s era retail that winds through Yorkville. It's like stepping into a time machine, and there's something comforting about it.

One of the sad things about malls is their perpetual compulsion to renovate. As a result, malls and memories of malls seem only to exist in the ever-present. I’m sure a lot of the malls I grew up around had a lot of neat historical anachronisms, but I’ll be damned if I can remember any of it. If I visit now they look exactly like they did when I was a kid - clean, modern, newly-renovated. It takes a mall on death row (ie this one, galleria) to offer any kind of glimpse into the quaint, weird little sensibilities of shoppers past.

One of the sad things about malls is their perpetual compulsion to renovate. As a result, malls and memories of malls seem only to exist in the ever-present. I’m sure a lot of the malls I grew up around had a lot of neat historical anachronisms, but I’ll be damned if I can remember any of it. If I visit now they look exactly like they did when I was a kid - clean, modern, newly-renovated. It takes a mall on death row (ie this one, galleria) to offer any kind of glimpse into the quaint, weird little sensibilities of shoppers past.
Nicely put, and I largely agree. But go check out Cumberland Terrace again. It's a complete time zone.

Nicely put, and I largely agree. But go check out Cumberland Terrace again. It's a complete time zone.

Indeed; that complex has been left unchanged for a long time; among the few businesses that remain, some are somewhat unique and will definitely not return in whatever new buildings are planned for the area.

Cues up Stranger Things Season 3 trailer:

Cues up The Midnight:

Ahhhhhh......80s malls.

Back