Toronto One Thirty Eight | 130.1m | 29s | Cityzen | BBB

Its amazing how people can be okay with destroying so much character all for the sake of money.

The owner of a property decides to sell. A real estate agent tells him that it's worth X amount because there are buildings across the street that are Y storeys tall, and that the OMB won't turn down a "reasonable" similar proposal even if the City does.

So the owner puts the property up for sale at a price that will require the buyer to build big to get any payback. Public pressure may save a heritage facade, but the new owner will find a way to make their investment pay off.

It's not that amazing, that's par for the course, it's our system. The only way to stop it from happening is by putting enforceable regulations in place to limit development, like a Heritage Conservation District. They are tough to put in place, but it can happen. When that happens, that's amazing.

from: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.PB26.6

This report recommends that City Council include the property at 33 Avenue Road on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties for its cultural heritage value. Located on the north east corner of Avenue Road and Yorkville Avenue, the property contains the building historically known as York Square (1968-9).

A nomination for the property to be included on the City's Inventory of Heritage Property was received in 2012. The local councillor in Ward 27 expressed interest in having the property evaluated for inclusion. Following research and evaluation, staff have determined that the property at 33 Avenue Road meets Ontario Regulation 9/06, the provincial criteria prescribed for municipal designation that is also used by the City when assessing properties for the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties. A nomination for 55 Avenue Road (Hazelton Lanes) was also received by staff. In the evaluation of 33 Avenue Road, 55 Avenue Road was also assessed and was deemed not to merit a formal evaluation report.

That's great to hear. York Square is a product of the 1970s, so I know there's a greater risk of demolishing it even if part of it is Victorian. It's one of the most important projects of the era--a breakthrough in development that respected heritage and Toronto's traditional urban fabric by combining new and old on an appropriate scale. To demolish it would be to destroy something progressive and significant in the city's development history.

Last edited:
from: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.PB26.6

This report recommends that City Council include the property at 33 Avenue Road on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties for its cultural heritage value. Located on the north east corner of Avenue Road and Yorkville Avenue, the property contains the building historically known as York Square (1968-9).

A nomination for the property to be included on the City's Inventory of Heritage Property was received in 2012. The local councillor in Ward 27 expressed interest in having the property evaluated for inclusion. Following research and evaluation, staff have determined that the property at 33 Avenue Road meets Ontario Regulation 9/06, the provincial criteria prescribed for municipal designation that is also used by the City when assessing properties for the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties. A nomination for 55 Avenue Road (Hazelton Lanes) was also received by staff. In the evaluation of 33 Avenue Road, 55 Avenue Road was also assessed and was deemed not to merit a formal evaluation report.

What does that do to the viability of this project for the proposed 38 storey tower? Does it change anything?

Im not sure how I feel about that square, but Id like to see the house on the NE corner saved. If the brick façade could be removed and the original structure restored, paint removed etc.

Im not sure how I feel about that square, but Id like to see the house on the NE corner saved. If the brick façade could be removed and the original structure restored, paint removed etc.

Clearly, you're in ill-informed topsy-turvy land re the reasons for designation.

What does that do to the viability of this project for the proposed 38 storey tower? Does it change anything?

As with any heritage designation, maybe, or maybe not. I think it is the internal square part that is significant, in which case it would make this development proposal change.

Yes I remember your posting about a renowned architect bolting on that brick wall and carving huge round windows right through the original structure. I cannot see the beauty. The original building, whats left of it, looked more attractive to me.

Yes I remember your posting about a renowned architect bolting on that brick wall and carving huge round windows right through the original structure. I cannot see the beauty. The original building, whats left of it, looked more attractive to me.

Architectural quality, (or heritage importance) is not determined by beauty or what looks more attractive. It's about the ideas at work, the philosophy or functionality of the design, and what it says about that point in time.

In any case, I have no doubt the intimate space within York Square's open courtyard is 10x more interesting than the condo proposed here. Glad to see it designated, especially since this sort of quirky Yorkville setup is disappearing rapidly for generic residential condo projects.

Last edited:
I agree with you SPIRE, I just have a thing for nice brick Victorian buildings on corners. But on second thought it is an attractive square, and important.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5R 1C2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 122171 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Feb 26, 2014

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Demolition

Description: To demolish the existing three-storey multi-use building at 136 Yorkville Ave.

Surely they're not proposing the demo this for a parking lot until development begins, right? Just odd that there's been no marketing that I've seen for the new development as yet.

Another example of how Toronto is scared to grow up. I value heritage, but heritage value is subjective and applied arbitrarily in the City. Developers build condo's because there is a demand for condo's - in the form of rental units. For as long as there is a demand for people to live downtown, and until purpose built rental takes over, condo's NEED to be built. Yorkville is as good a place for another 'generic glass box condo' as any being at the confluence of 3 subway lines with 24/7 streetlife.

This proposal meets many long term city objectives including densification and generating tax revenue. It will help to save a mall which desperately needs a front entrance. (Before you jump on me for suggesting a mall needs to be saved - malls are neighbourhood amenities and the alternative to a successful mall is not a scenario we should hope for with crumbling infrastructure and empty dark spaces) The heritage here in my opinion does not nearly justify the death of this project, which is the outcome of the designation without a doubt. It may have been a unique idea, but it was poorly executed and doesn't fit the modern requirements of retail/office or residential which surprisingly a lot of heritage still does like the converted warehouse space.

And for those that lament the disappearing 'context' of Yorkville with it's unaccessible, split level with stairs schlocky architecture I say good riddance.

End of rant.

Back