Toronto 3239 Dundas West | 29.4m | 8s | Gairloch | Batay-Csorba

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Gairloch continuing to be bullish on the Junction area.

3239 – 3251 Dundas St West – Pre-application meeting

Gairloch Developments, the proponents for the development application at 3194-3206 Dundas Street West, will be hosting a pre-application meeting for a collection of properties to the south, at 3239-3251 Dundas Street West. At this time they have not submitted an application with the City, and we have not seen any proposal, however we have been told it will be similar in scope to the development proposal across the street.

The Virtual Community Consultation meeting will take place on Wednesday, June 28, at 7:00 pm. To register for the meeting, please click here.

Please note that this is a meeting being hosted by the developer. Once an application is submitted to the City a city consultation will take place.

If you are unable to attend the meeting and are interested in providing comment and/or receiving more detailed information on this application as it becomes available please contact Councillor Perks’ Office at councillor_perks@toronto.ca .

-----------

Looks like it's for a group of houses midblock on the south side along Dundas West. The assembly brings them close but just east of Gilmour Ave. It's also just west of Gairloch's other upcoming project, on the north side of the street at 3200 Dundas W:

dundasg.JPG
dundasg2.JPG

Last edited:
Good spot for redevelopment in the area. I'm wary of avenues-style buildings that decimate existing storefronts and fine-grain streetscape, but houses like this on one of our main streets is absolutely not something we need and this should upgrade the urbanism of this stretch.

Couldn't agree more. I'm very (and pleasantly) surprised by this - developers usually go after low hanging fruit (parking lots, plazas, non-descript commercial buildings) rather than blocks of detached houses. I would have bet money that Gairloch or another developer would have snapped up the car wash or Tim Horton's site just to the east of this instead, so this is great. These houses (and the ones on the north side) created an annoying dead stretch in the middle of the Junction. I very much look forward to seeing the retail strip's lovely vibrancy spread further west to fill in gaps like this one.

Now if only we could get a similar makeover of almost everything on Dundas west of Runnymede...

Couldn't agree more. I'm very (and pleasantly) surprised by this - developers usually go after low hanging fruit (parking lots, plazas, non-descript commercial buildings) rather than blocks of detached houses. I would have bet money that Gairloch or another developer would have snapped up the car wash or Tim Horton's site just to the east of this instead, so this is great. These houses (and the ones on the north side) created an annoying dead stretch in the middle of the Junction. I very much look forward to seeing the retail strip's lovely vibrancy spread further west to fill in gaps like this one.

Now if only we could get a similar makeover of almost everything on Dundas west of Runnymede...

Imagine the flatiron opportunities if the Tim Horton's site ever gets redeveloped. ;)

tims.JPG

ZBA application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:
Zoning by-law amendment application to facilitate the redevelopment of the site for an 8-storey mixed-use building having a non-residential gross floor area of 219 square metres, and a residential gross floor area of 7982 square metres. 88 residential dwelling units are proposed.

Site Plan Approval application submitted:

3239 DUNDAS ST W
Ward 4: Parkdale-High Park

Site Plan Approval application to facilitate the redevelopment of the site for an 8-storey mixed-use building having a non-residential gross floor area of 222 square metres, and a residential gross floor area of 7995 square metres. 88 residential dwelling units are proposed.

* Docs are Up *

Architects are Batay-Csorba

Not one real 'render' to be found.

1641463298322.png

1641463336614.png

1641463373944.png

1641463447981.png

From the Planning Rationale Report:

1641463511905.png

My note: Parking Ratio is exceeding high at just a shade under 0.8

Landscape Plan proposes to retain existing street trees on Dundas in tiny little pits. Questionable. The Arborist report recommends
preservation, but I particularly disagree on preserving the non-native Lilac, which will never be particularly large anyway, and where I think improved growing conditions should be a priority.

1641464139822.png

The other 2 street trees are Honey Locust and pretty healthy, I can see an argument for their retention.

Very interesting potential brutalist-ish aspects here with the offset geometry. Could be good if it ends up like that drawing.

I would like to see those houses along there converted into commercial uses or redeveloped in the future, but I don't mind that it's not replacing all the houses along there at this point: it locks in some fine grain for the future.

Dammit - it's not replacing all the houses...
Very interesting potential brutalist-ish aspects here with the offset geometry. Could be good if it ends up like that drawing.

I would like to see those houses along there converted into commercial uses or redeveloped in the future, but I don't mind that it's not replacing all the houses along there at this point: it locks in some fine grain for the future.

True enough. Perhaps for a Phase 2!

True enough. Perhaps for a Phase 2!
These types of high design mid rise projects are a blessing for this strip. Will bring new life onto the Main Street. The neighborhoods in behind Dundas are super nice. It’s just the main strip that is currently feeling dire and shitty.

Back