Toronto 321 Davenport | 36.4m | 9s | Alterra | Giannone Petricone

The developer has approval from the city and the development will go ahead. This is just nimbyism. The development proposed for this site i.e 8 stories is appropriate to say the least...they could have asked for a lot more, been turned down by the city and then taken it to the OMB and taken their chances and still won more than 8 stories. I'm sure they ( area residents and other people with too much time on their hands) will delay the development as the people named in the article have deep deep Pockets and paying 20 or 30 grand for a planner and a lawyer is not a lot of money for them but at the end of the day precedence has been set and the development will continue on.

I was speaking to the VP of designers walk last year and they actually changed their development proposal across the street (where the subway restaurant currently sits) for a larger building as well.

The issue that the people in the article brought up in my opinion has less to do with shadowing and density and more to do with the well-known fact that the property taxes is going to go up substantially. Taxes will be reassessed again just like what happened this year....even the rich like to pay less taxes. I know of specific examples on Davenport where taxes jumped as high as $16,000 for 2017 versus 2016

Last edited:
The developer does not have approval from the City. The final report is going to Community Council on September 6 for a recommendation which it would take to City Council on October 2.

They have the Planning Department's recommendation which, yes, is typically a prelude to approval, but City Council adds the political element to the equation, and this is suddenly not a typical application. The question is just how the various forces unleashed upon this will sway some Councillors or others. Personally I expect it will be approved—but it does not have approval yet, and won't until at least the first week of October.

Winning by getting full approval at council? Nope, they won't "win" that one. Someone is obviously going to pay the $200 or so it takes to file an OMB appeal and delay the project. I do expect this to "win" at the board however, even if the neighbours are deep pocketed enough to pay for the volley of consultants required to properly represent their interests at a board hearing.

Winning by getting full approval at council? Nope, they won't "win" that one. Someone is obviously going to pay the $200 or so it takes to file an OMB appeal and delay the project. I do expect this to "win" at the board however, even if the neighbours are deep pocketed enough to pay for the volley of consultants required to properly represent their interests at a board hearing.

It's not a ton of money for the people listed in the article. Low end is 10k high end is 50k. Application fee is $300. They will write off in their taxes. Hearing date is roughly 3 months under Tlab

this isn't Tlab, it isn't a minor variance. It would go to full board hearing, provided a settlement couldn't be reached.

Not sure I understand all the star power involved with this one. Wait...what is going in the base, a library or a Tim Horton's?

Thanks for the link. Read it earlier today, and now seeing an article on the Star about the Twitter back-and-forths. Interesting dynamic playing out, arguably with some similarities to Jane Jacobs' fight. Personally I support Atwood and the "NIMBYs" in this instance. Not saying she's right, but I enjoy when people genuinely and thoroughly like their Toronto neighbourhoods to the point of vociferous demands for protection. K perhaps not all the time. But do we really want transient residents in flophouses that don't care one iota about their surroundings? Sure, sometimes. However ultimately people caring about their areas or 'hoods is what makes Toronto such a great city, historically and presently.

Thanks for the link. Read it earlier today, and now seeing an article on the Star about the Twitter back-and-forths. Interesting dynamic playing out, arguably with some similarities to Jane Jacobs' fight. Personally I support Atwood and the "NIMBYs" in this instance. Not saying she's right, but I enjoy when people genuinely and thoroughly like their Toronto neighbourhoods to the point of vociferous demands for protection. K perhaps not all the time. But do we really want transient residents in flophouses that don't care one iota about their surroundings? Sure, sometimes. However ultimately people caring about their areas or 'hoods is what makes Toronto such a great city, historically and presently.

Atwood's petulant "maybe it's time I moved out of Toronto, didn't like it much when I moved in" garbage tweets kind of spoil this notion of her as city advocate, no?

Back