Toronto 320 Bay Modernization | ?m | 18s | Menkes | B+H

The logistics are crazy with zero staging area and Brookfield, it appears, having no interest in playing nice.

It's certainly funky but it kind of works in the same vein as EY Tower (which funny enough is just down the street). I would like to see some more renders though, I'm sure there is something redeeming about it.

This doesn't seem to be a facadectomy which gets a conditional thumbs up from me.

Would like to see more renderings - IMO I have a soft spot for the sawtoothed 80s building.

And another heritage intersected/suspended atrium...I do sincerely like the one at the Richmond Ctr., but let's not diminish its success, water-it down, beat it to death by producing a dozen inferior copies in every sequential project we do....a la Libeskind.

Gotta say it hurts to read posts that are even moderately supportive of this. Toronto stock of intact century old office buildings is limited for a city of its size. and 320 Bay is among the grandest in that small group. The inferior, encompassing glass addition overwhelms this beauty. The development pays little respect regardless of how much of 320 Bay is being retained. The tower is in great condition. CIBC did a great job in renovating. It's depressing and I don't know what's worst. Another hack job from private equity that doesn't care about creating a built legacy because they will move on should real estate decline or the debate on how tall this is? Sorry guys. You're only posting your opinions.

LOL That was my point in saying it! We're all just posting our opinions and I shouldn't be hurt but, I am.

This is trash, in my humble opinion. My husband thinks it is an attempt to adorn caviar with a turd, but he might be overstating his case.

Why can't they create something that compliments these old buildings ! We got the same old clear blue green square box style building again ! Might as well use Harry Stinson's old idea in creating something like the Sapphire Tower look !

Back