Toronto 315 Spadina | 46.29m | 13s | Podium | Montgomery Sisam

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

315 SPADINA AVE
Ward 11 - Tor & E.York District

All properties: 315 SPADINA AVE, 319 SPADINA AVE. 321 SPADINA AVE, 323 SPADINA AVE, 325 SPADINA AVE

Proposed Rezoning for a new 13-storey mixed-use building containing 239 rental dwelling units and 987 m² of non-residential floor area. Total Floor area on the lot is 15,892 m².

Current site:

Examining the addresses of the properties included a bit closer, it looks like the unit (323 Spadina Ave) and building (319-325) where Rol San Restaurant is in will also be part of it.

Certain retail here needs to continue to be part of the community; but this building at one-storey, and as a ho-hum box can surely depart.

I have no intrinsic problem here w/13 storeys, however, this is an area where I'm very keen to see something that resembles a 'traditional', early 20thc streetwall in the range of 4 to 8 floors.

So I would expect some setback on a proposal of 13.

Quality architecture here is everything. We shall see!

I will add, particularly pleased to see this is proposed as purpose-built rental!

Despite the lackluster architecture, most of the condo buildings along Yonge in NYCC have thrived especially in the last 5+ years in terms of retail at grade. Many as smaller scaled unit formats too. Hopefully similar effort and initiatives can be replicated here. The demand for retail definitely is there, as seen with all the newer businesses that have opened up further north on Spadina closer to College.

Shame to see Rol San go, they're one of the last remaining classic Chinatown spots now that Kom Jug Yuen and Lee Gardens, etc. are already gone. Hope they can relocate elsewhere in the area.

Last edited:
Anime xtreme! :(
This store is quite a hidden gem in Chinatown and one of the oldest stores in Chinatown to sell toys based on Japanese pop culture. It has a very large Gundam (giant piloted robot) collection. However, I am most interested in its plush toy collection, especially those of Nintendo characters. At one point, it even had the largest collection of plush Kirby toys in Toronto before Kirby became popular outside of the Nintendo fandom in North America.

I hope that this store doesn't disappear completely.

Olympia and York is back from the dead.. this is owned by "315 Spadina Facility Inc.", with an address matching that of Reichmann Realty Advisors, owned by the Reichmann family of Olympia and York fame.

Back