Toronto 315 Spadina | 46.29m | 13s | Podium | Montgomery Sisam

The render doesn't really do the ground level justice - I think it's pretty nice compared to what most developers/architects are offering up on the main floors of their respective projects.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 3.09.42 PM.png

Final report, recommending approval, goes to the April 20th meeting of TEYCC.

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-165389.pdf

Height is unchanged; 22 affordable units secured as a benefit, for a minimum term of 25 years, 40 should 'Open Door' incentives be approved.
That's one of the better "Bang for your Buck" funding models for OPEN DOOR that we have seen.

Only $1.4-MILLION for an extra 15-years of Affordable-Rental on 22 units. Wonder who they will partner with to manage the Affordable-Rental units..?

Still think that they should have given them a density-bonus to 16-17 storeys to Create 50+ Affordable-Rental units on this site, but will move along to the next "battle".

Mike Layton's statement on the affordable housing aspect of this project:

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to write to me about the proposal for 315-325 Spadina Ave., and your commitment to fighting for affordable housing and preserving the character of Chinatown. We are seeing gentrification and a growing housing crisis across the city and in Chinatown, and the need for action to reverse this is more urgent than ever before.

I am grateful to everyone who spoke out in support of affordable housing and protecting small culturally relevant businesses, and the community members who participated in the many working group meetings for this application.

Together, we have secured 22 affordable units (approximately 10% of all units) in this building for a 40 year term. I know this does not meet the call for 100% affordable housing, but the city does not have the authority to require affordable units in new development (something I have actively fought for over 6 years) and it is more than twice the amount of affordable housing which would be possible to achieve on a private development site of this size when a developer volunteers to include affordable housing onsite, which is sadly, very rare.

In addition to the on-site affordable housing commitment, we will limit the leasing costs of the retail units to current rents, offer existing retail tenants the right of first refusal to lease the new units, and will not allow chain stores on the site– in perpetuity. These retail conditions have never been imposed in the City of Toronto before and were made possible in part by the community’s strong advocacy.

Although we are up against powerful forces, I know it is possible to fight for change and win. For example, I recently moved a motion at Council to declare the Green P parking lot in Kensington Market surplus, and directed City staff to select a non-profit to build 100% affordable housing on site. I am also proud to be supporting a neighbourhood land trust in the acquisition of a building to be forever protected as affordable rental at 54-56 Kensington Avenue. Last week, I shared the news that the City will be creating 250 units of 100% affordable, and supportive, housing in Rosedale this month. I will keep fighting for the City to be ambitious and show leadership on the acquisition and creation of affordable housing – across the ward, and in the Chinatown area especially.

I need your help to change this system. We need an Inclusionary Zoning policy that will allow the City of Toronto the power to require developers to create a minimum number of affordable units in all new developments, instead of negotiating incremental changes through the planning process. I urge you to join me in advocating to the rest of City Council to vote in support of requiring the highest percentage of units possible when this policy comes to council this summer.

If you want to talk further, or get more involved with the campaign for Inclusionary Zoning, please get in touch with my office and I will be sure to keep you informed of opportunities for involvement and action.

In addition to the on-site affordable housing commitment, we will limit the leasing costs of the retail units to current rents, offer existing retail tenants the right of first refusal to lease the new units, and will not allow chain stores on the site– in perpetuity. These retail conditions have never been imposed in the City of Toronto before and were made possible in part by the community’s strong advocacy.

I would be quite interested to read the wording on this condition.

Typically restrictions of this sort (in other cities) involve restricting what is referred to as 'formula retail'; and cap the # of locations a retailer present can have.

Usually to between 10-20.

I would be quite interested to read the wording on this condition.

Typically restrictions of this sort (in other cities) involve restricting what is referred to as 'formula retail'; and cap the # of locations a retailer present can have.

Usually to between 10-20.
In this case, it's 11 locations globally. I admire the idea behind this, but it's certainly got issues.

Unfortunate precedent.

It is?

I'm rather keen on seeing formula retail restricted.

I don't want chain stores here, there and everywhere. (that's not suggesting a total ban by any means)

Now, I'd prefer a blanket set of restrictions, as opposed to building by building...........

I wonder if this will help trigger a mass redevelopment of that stretch of Spadina (not necessarily a bad thing, but it will be disruptive).

AoD
as long as a significant portion of the new builds is reserved for affordable housing, the redevelopment and densification of that stretch can only be a good thing.

as long as a significant portion of the new builds is reserved for affordable housing, the redevelopment and densification of that stretch can only be a good thing.

Even if the new builds aren't all affordable housing, intensification is still a laudable goal (and with more affordable housing, even better). The process unfortunately will displace existing businesses and potentially destabilize Chinatown though - maybe there are ways to ameliorate that.

AoD

Back