Ajax 310 Kingston Road East | 83.7m | 25s | Ledim | Richard Wengle

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
310 Kingston Road East: a proposed 25-storey mixed-use rental & retail building designed by Richard Wengle Architect for Ledim Developments (operating as Promita Holdings Ltd.) on the northeast corner of Kingston Road East and Wicks Drive in Central East Ajax.

Renders from the Architectural Package of the second submission:
f8ca6a99479733a7f815ca8b1fed58ba_Architectural_Drawing_Set-16.jpg
f8ca6a99479733a7f815ca8b1fed58ba_Architectural_Drawing_Set-17.jpg
f8ca6a99479733a7f815ca8b1fed58ba_Architectural_Drawing_Set-18.jpg
f8ca6a99479733a7f815ca8b1fed58ba_Architectural_Drawing_Set-19.jpg
f8ca6a99479733a7f815ca8b1fed58ba_Architectural_Drawing_Set-20.jpg

This is what we need in downtown Toronto not in this location lol ! Beautiful just beautiful!

Buildings like this all come down to the details and I've got a sneaking suspicion the details will be, how do I say it, cheap. Some of Ledim's other accomplishments include gems such as the North Harwood Centre: https://www.ledim.ca/home.php?page=north_harwood_centre. 25 storeys of EIFS, anyone?

I hope I'm wrong though; the glass fatigue is real and I would love more masonry-heavy designs, even if they're a bit schlocky.

I guess you don't like art deco style buildings!
this is not Art Deco - not even close

David can clarify his own thoughts, but I'll loop him in here as I reference what he's saying.

I'm sympathetic to some pastiche, some of the time, when done well.

This, is not that.

I'm also sympathetic to the idea that one can repurpose certain stylistic elements, popular in previous generations and create something new and cohesive with them.

This is not that either.

One can make use of arches, faux cast-iron accents, or make use of good stone or even a credible facsimile thereof.........but one must demonstrate an understanding of how to use these things well.

I like a lot Robert Stern's work which often honours history favourably in my judgement.

But this (the above) is not remotely like that.

This render shows some vague aspiration to high minded quality while being wildly inconsistent and insincere in its impersonation of some mythical earlier style. I say mythical because there are too many jumbled elements from different styles to label the above as even attempted 'Deco'.

I do see where one can find elements in the design that show some relationship to deco, but others do not, and the relationship between the various elements is ham-handed at best.

It feels a bit like International Street at Wonderland, a kitsch jumble of homages put together w/o sufficient care. Though, in fairness to Wonderland, at least its vaguely attractive if one isn't detail-oriented or a stickler for authenticity.

One other thing, context matters.

Many here would prefer modern, if sympathetic buildings on the heart of U of T's St. George campus, where I might happily go for Robert Stern recreating a lost masterpiece that fit in harmoniously with other heritage buildings as if it had always been there. One can go either way in such things.

But here, (Ajax) this would stand out as a non-sequitur even if there was a cohesive, and well executed idea. Which is not to say you couldn't give Ajax some historical flare, but it would require a multi-building process with some attention to detail and scale that made it work.

This, is not that.

Last edited:
Buildings like this all come down to the details and I've got a sneaking suspicion the details will be, how do I say it, cheap. Some of Ledim's other accomplishments include gems such as the North Harwood Centre: https://www.ledim.ca/home.php?page=north_harwood_centre. 25 storeys of EIFS, anyone?

I hope I'm wrong though; the glass fatigue is real and I would love more masonry-heavy designs, even if they're a bit schlocky.
Most recent schlocky designs Ive seen are contemporary. Anything from YC Condos to Picasso.

Don't get me wrong, this proposal is far from a masterpiece. But I'd rather see a taller clone of this proposal replace Quadrangles hideous "Charles at Church" Yorkville could desperately use something like this as its becoming too glass heavy (and by glass heavy Im not referring to quality designs like X condos)

Most recent schlocky designs Ive seen are contemporary. Anything from YC Condos to Picasso.

Don't get me wrong, this proposal is far from a masterpiece. But I'd rather see a taller clone of this proposal replace Quadrangles hideous "Charles at Church" Yorkville could desperately use something like this as its becoming too glass heavy (and by glass heavy Im not referring to quality designs like X condos)
As long as it's not EIFS lol. If there's one thing I dislike more as a facade material than window wall (spandrel and mullion heavy specifically), it's EIFS. Unfortunately the state of architecture these days has come down to us hoping that "at least it's not as bad as ____".

I do like Picasso though, if not just for the colour and variety it provides, especially in that area.

If we're lucky it'll be precast panels in a yellow brick motif, as opposed to EIFS.

Renderings from the latest submission have been updated in the database.
6e5a5c54fad7302b539642c2301d4ee7_Architectural_Drawing_Set_(3)-0.jpg
6e5a5c54fad7302b539642c2301d4ee7_Architectural_Drawing_Set_(3)-7.jpg
6e5a5c54fad7302b539642c2301d4ee7_Architectural_Drawing_Set_(3)-8.jpg
6e5a5c54fad7302b539642c2301d4ee7_Architectural_Drawing_Set_(3)-9.jpg
6e5a5c54fad7302b539642c2301d4ee7_Architectural_Drawing_Set_(3)-10.jpg
6e5a5c54fad7302b539642c2301d4ee7_Architectural_Drawing_Set_(3)-11.jpg

Storeys remains at 25, height is now up slightly from 83.53 to 83.7m.

The total residential units increased from 369 to 380.

Total vehicular parking has decreased from 329 to 317.

Bicycle parking has increased from 251 to 294.

Council will consider the application on November 27.

Back