Hamilton 310 Frances Avenue | ?m | 44s | New Horizon | Graziani + Corazza

Settlement approved for 34, 44 and 37 storeys.

34 storey building is going to be built first.

The local councillor, who was elected over the incumbent councillor last year primarily on his opposition to this development, has unsurprisingly been burned pretty badly here in his inability to NIMBY this to death..

Settlement approved for 34, 44 and 37 storeys.

34 storey building is going to be built first.

The local councillor, who was elected over the incumbent councillor last year primarily on his opposition to this development, has unsurprisingly been burned pretty badly here in his inability to NIMBY this to death..
That’s quite the chop. The city should be proud they managed to lop off so many floors- and with no incentive to build more elsewhere. I’m still waiting on a plan to service this area with better transit.

The City's proposed reconfiguration of the bus network, despite being quite ambitious in scope elsewhere in the city, continues to plan to service this area with on-demand service only. They are proposing to add service on the south service road along a low-density industrial park, but a high-density residential neighbourhood with thousands of likely transit users on the opposite side of the highway only gets dial-a-ride still..

That’s quite the chop. The city should be proud they managed to lop off so many floors- and with no incentive to build more elsewhere. I’m still waiting on a plan to service this area with better transit.

Agreed, transit in that pocket is terrible. It's a 34 minute walk to the closest HSR bus stop at Barton and Green. In good traffic, the Confederation GO Station is a 7 minute drive.

The settlement agreement (including site plan & variances) will go before the tribunal for final approval on June 9. The new storey counts and unit count have been updated in database while we await public release of the settlement documents. The renderings still reflect the previous plan.

OLT Give Final Approval to Three Tall Buildings at 310 Frances Avenue in Stoney Creek​

The decade-long zoning saga at 310 Frances Avenue in Stoney Creek came to a quiet end on Monday with the Ontario Land Tribunal approving a settlement agreement to allow three tall towers of 34, 37, and 44 storeys atop a mutual podium of 4 to 5 storeys.

The approval allows for 1,390 residential units. The minimum number of apartment dwelling units will be 585.

The buildings will be constructed in phases.

The first phase will be the proposed 34-storey building with its own podium. The proposed 37 and 44 storey buildings will share a joint podium.

The City of Hamilton and New Horizon Development Group (NHDG) reached the agreement, presenting it to the Tribunal on May 25, 2023.

The local neighbourhood association, the Lakewood Beach Community Council, was not invited to the settlement talks and stated in May the City’s decision to settle was a “betrayal.”

They have conditional approval now so are likely clearing conditions to advance to building permit - this mostly happens behind the scenes.

It may also be on hold because of the real estate market. Hard to know.

This development if it gets going needs to be the catalyst to finally bring a transit route to that side of the QEW. They could have a bus loop going from the new Confederation GO Station east on the North Service Rd to the 50 Road Costco Plaza then back west on the North Service Rd back to the Confederation GO then rinse and repeat.

Regarding this development, I do hope we see shovels in the ground eventually.

New Horizon has this rendering on their website.

310FrancesRoad-Render-BlackOverlay.jpg

I adjusted the colour to remove the dark tint on the rendering...

View attachment 540613

View attachment 540614
Blegh, looks like Mississauga. Tower living without any of the walkable amenity that typically come with it. Every single person here will likely drive every single location they go to, even if just down the street. Nobody is biking to anything here.

Blegh, looks like Mississauga. Tower living without any of the walkable amenity that typically come with it. Every single person here will likely drive every single location they go to, even if just down the street. Nobody is biking to anything here.
I'd take a second look at the biking. Francis Ave. is part of the waterfront trail which already sees a ton of bike usage. I think Francis should get a dedicated bike lane since it connects Grays to Millen via Shoreview Place where there are even more condos being built. With these 3 towers and the other 3 towers on Millen, thousands of new people will be using at least some part of the waterfront trail daily. Keep in mind this site is a 12 min bike ride to Confederation GO which has yet to be built, and it's a 35 min bike ride to downtown Burlington.

I'd take a second look at the biking. Francis Ave. is part of the waterfront trail which already sees a ton of bike usage. I think Francis should get a dedicated bike lane since it connects Grays to Millen via Shoreview Place where there are even more condos being built. With these 3 towers and the other 3 towers on Millen, thousands of new people will be using at least some part of the waterfront trail daily. Keep in mind this site is a 12 min bike ride to Confederation GO which has yet to be built, and it's a 35 min bike ride to downtown Burlington.
They'd really have to up the infrastructure for that to be feasible for most. Centennial Pkwy under the highway looks like a death trap for cyclists riding on the road.

Millen seems to be the only really way over the highway to the more south plazas. Most won't choose to do this. I purposely bike instead of drive places, but even I'd be inclined to drive 99% of the time living here, except for the occasional recreational trip. Most people aren't like me.

I'm always hopeful that people will bike places, but being honest, I know that the modal split out here is really low 🙁

Back