Toronto JAC Condos | 108.5m | 34s | Graywood | Turner Fleischer

I dont know about shadowing the Palm House conservatory or even a bit of the park, seeing that this tower will be positioned northwest by Mutual st. just south of Carlton...if anything, just maybe 10 minutes of a July 8pm sunset.
When all is said and done, this tower will most likely get chopped down to 40-43 storeys to make everyone happy

I don't know why there is so much concern about shadowing:confused: These all-glass towers are like sun-reflectors. It would not surprise me if Alan Gardens actually see's more sun-light if this is built.

I don't know why there is so much concern about shadowing:confused: These all-glass towers are like sun-reflectors. It would not surprise me if Alan Gardens actually see's more sun-light if this is built.

was that a serious comment or a joke? i can't tell.

I'm absolutely serious! Given the proposed location I could imagine morning sunlight bouncing off of this tower and bathing parts of the park.
The shadows would occur in the evenings since the proposed building is west of Allen Gardens and I doubt that any extra reflected sunlight in the mornings (if in fact there was any, which I doubt) would not solve that problem.

as DSC stated, they're more concerned during the sunset.
the glass is the skin of these buildings as you say.
the core isn't see through, although the developers and renders would love to make you think so.

Do your research instead of propagating an ill-informed and thoughtless "Tall buildings at any cost!" attitude, AG. I know you think that considerations like shadowing are a waste of time, but there are all sorts of studies and similar considerations that have to go into building a city. Look at sprawling city cores that have no sense of urban planning (mostly in developing countries) and you'll be glad we do things the way we do (although there is obviously room for improvement in our city planning practices here).

Your love for height is not superior to planning considerations.

Like i said before, sunset when, and for how long.....is that for 10 minutes in July:confused:

You really have the oddest ideas about architecture, planning and now light. Super talls are not desirable everywhere and not on this site. Maybe instead of constantly posting messages here you should put aside some time for reading about planning or even taking a few courses?

Let's not forget the park in question is Allan Gardens. You know the one with the greenhouse buildings in the centre that contain all sort of plants that actually need sunlight.

Ahh come-on, yeah i understand all of that, but this sunset shadowing thing has been manufactured as a negative issue to the well being of the park, plants and area residents, by people that automatically think a 40-50 storey building is a supertall and must cast all kinds of shadows...and god forbid if its by a park, square or church
There is no proof yet that at this planned location, this 140 meter structure (and not a super tall) is going to cast any shadows at all
...when city planning confirms that, then i will shut my trap...not blogs, forums, or Toronto Star articles

I often disagree with AG's zealotry towards tall buildings... but in this case I don't think it is a major issue. Since this tower would be West of the park, it would be casting shadows in the residential neighbourhoods to the North most of the day. By the time the sun will be far enough to the West for this tower to cast shadows on Allan Gardens, it will be quite late in the day.

According to: http://www.sunearthtools.com/

On March 21st, the building would cast a shadow on the North greenhouse at 4:30 if >130 ft tall and the central one at 6pm if >50ft tall.
On June 21st, the building would cast a shadow on the North greenhouse at 3pm if >450ft tall and the central one at 5pm if >320ft tall.
On Sept 21st, the building would cast a shadow on the North greenhouse at 4:30pm if >110 ft tall and the central one at 5:30pm if >50ft tall.
On Dec 21st, the building would not set far enough to the West to cast any shadows on the greenhouses

The heights are relatively approximate... but the star article said that they were only concerned about shading from 10am to 4pm, which I think is reasonable because once you get late or early enough in the day, shadows will be long even if the building is a lowrise and all those trees in Allan gardens would be shading the greenhouses anyways. If that's 10am-4pm at the equinoxes, this is likely a non-issue, if it's 10am-4pm at any time of the year, then as long as it's not more than 40 or 50 storeys (very roughly), it should be ok. The margin of error is pretty high, the tools I've used aren't that exact, but a highrise should be ok here, and I would wait to see a report from the city (or other reliable source) before saying for sure that a 50 storey tower would be a problem, or if should rather be 40s or 30s.

Last edited:
^ that accords with my (non-expert) conclusions as well. Basically any shadowing from this building would happen late in the day when shadowing would have happened for other reasons in any event.

People here have been piling on AG for his opinions, but I fail to see that their own opinions have any greater basis in fact themselves. They simply assume that any tall building near Allen Gardens is a Bad Thing, regardless of the actual location of said tall building. In this case, I consider its location to be in the marginal zone, not absolutely no problem, as it would be on the north side of the park, but not clearly bad either, as it would be on the southeast, south or southwest side of the park. Its location on the northwest side of the park is such that an actual shadow study would need to be performed to decide one way or the other.

Back