Toronto 305-319 King West | 156.96m | 50s | Claireville Holdings Ltd | Scott Shields

It's not broad at all. Actually, it's pretty specific. I'm told by my chef brother (whom I trust on these issues) that there hasn't been a culinary evolution on this stretch since tableside flambés went out of style.

To put it in terms we UT'ers can understand: in culinary circles restaurant row is the same sort of joke that Kirkor or a G+C is to us. Aloof, anachronistic, and forever disconnected from the city's vibrant and evolving design culture. Yet, just like developers who hire Kirkor or G+C for their bland yet reliable production-house-consistency, because restaurant row has a clientele who care little about eating an excellent meal, they are able to rope in low-hanging-fruit so to speak (tourists, non-native theatre goers, etc.). This solid client base means they don't have to evolve as other restaurants might and have therefore fallen far behind the times.

Whether or not you personally like these restaurants is nice but sort of irrelevant. Again, it's akin to those few remaining souls who see some value in Aura while the rest of the public, and nearly all of the city's architects, have written it off completely.

Your brother is spot on!! Chef's or foodie's wouldn't be caught dead eating on restaurant row. I remember first year TIFF was held at the Lightbox. The biggest complaint from the critics was crappy restaurants that surrounded the theatre.

All restaurant row needs is some modern fine dining establishments. There is no longer bus loads of tourists coming into the area looking for cheap prix fixe dinners. This would be a good opportunity for 305 King and Theatre Park to bring in some 4 or 5 star restaurants to the row, It will class the place up a little.

Last edited:
The restaurants on Restaurant Row are generally bad, but the character and animation of that stretch needs to be preserved. I'm sure the restaurants will be replaced with better offerings in the foreseeable future, considering the general population's passionate interest in cooking and food as of late. There needs to be a concerted effort to save the buildings and their uses as restaurants though, because otherwise yes, it will become a strip of SIR Corp-esque establishments in no time.

Hey, aside from the Gabby's, at least they're not the horrible corporate chain restaurants you find in the suburbs.

I don't get why everyone keeps dumping on restaurant row. To each their own in terms of personal preference of food I suppose, but I am fully on the side of having it rather than not. Nawlins and Paese have good food. Joe Mama's and Nawlins often have live music. Most of the restaurants have some sort of outdoor seating section whether it be streetside, rear, or rooftop. The buildings are historic. Spots such as Hey Lucy and Gabby's may not be good restaurants but they're both very popular after work and pre/post Blue Jays game spots to hang out and have a few drinks. Add it all up; patios, live music, spots that keep local office workers and sporting event/theatre goers in the area before or after the event and what do you get? The types of places and atmosphere that make an entertainment district entertaining.

I seriously doubt that, considering their extreme opposition to change.

I think with the continuing influx of new residents in surrounding condos, they'll be forced to adapt and change to suit more modern dining preferences. It remains to be seen, a lot of them have been there for a long time, but either way I support retaining the restaurant row in its current use.

I agree with Milanista: I've enjoyed live music at N'awlins, and while I have not eaten at Paese here, I have in North York, where I had a superb rustic Italian meal. Can it be all that bad on King?

I also agree with Egotrippin: with residents starting to pour into the district, the Restaurant Row restauranteurs will have to adapt to cater to them too, not just the theatre-goers.

I have only eaten at Paese on restaurant row, and it was indeed quite good.

Much better than the vast majority of places opening under condos nowadays, anyhow.

Yeah Paese is pretty good...

I think what was done at Victory condos could be replicated here. They've got two places Westlodge (last years hot spot) and Patria (one of the best new restaurants in TO). As long as patios can still be possible (and I don't see why not given O&B has a sizeable one across the street) then I have no problem with condos on this stretch of King.

reading the details on this one actually makes me quite hopeful.

Gallery space on the 1st and 6th floors
Amenity space from the 2nd-5th floors
Hotel from floor 7 - 23
Offices from floor 24 - 41
Restaurant on floor 42
Restaurant uses retained at ground level

reading the details on this one actually makes me quite hopeful.

Gallery space on the 1st and 6th floors
Amenity space from the 2nd-5th floors
Hotel from floor 7 - 23
Offices from floor 24 - 41
Restaurant on floor 42
Restaurant uses retained at ground level

No condos

Back