Toronto Valhalla Village | 122.09m | 37s | KingSett Capital | BDP Quadrangle

They've started some sort of work on this site, at least it's very close to the highway with large pipes. They were piling them into the ground all night.

They've started some sort of work on this site, at least it's very close to the highway with large pipes. They were piling them into the ground all night.

Well I’ll be damned, so that’s what has been going on there! I’m up for work at 3 AM and I’ve noticed a lot of work going on all throughout the night

KingSett has been so busy lately.

Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy the attempt to animate this part of the city through this proposal, but I am skeptical if it would accomplish the goals. Oh well, got to start somewhere.

I can only wish developments closer to the city core included public space proposals like Gateway Park.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.53.03 PM.png

A couple of key paragraphs from the article linked above:

The entitlement process for Valhalla Village began last October. The anticipated approval of the rezoning application, which contemplates 36-, 27- and 21-storey towers and one 10-storey mid-rise building totalling approximately 986,500 square feet of gross floor area, is expected by the first quarter of next year.​
“The site has received positive feedback and it allows a prospective buyer to finalize the planning process while creating a design/unit mix that works for their needs — whether it be condo, rental, seniors or a combination thereof,” said Picken.​

and

“We expect a new purchaser to benefit from the work that has already taken place and use their own expertise to continue the development process moving forward through zoning and the sales and purchase agreement,” said Picken.​

Rezoning resubmission:

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 9.42.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 9.42.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 9.42.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 9.42.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 9.43.05 AM.png

I am a big fan of that podium structure. That second level may be a little barren during the colder months, but I would consider it an amenity in itself during the summer months. Hopefully pollution from the 427 is not too bad here.

Maybe there's some hope of turning the East Mall into an urban retail street yet...

Our city's obsession with low, squash-and-spread podiums forming mega-blocks continues... looks like it originally had a better finer grain quality to it.

The variation in the blocks is nice to see though, I do appreciate the red brick portion - that part looks great.

With the kind of car loving city councillors they vote for in that area, it wont happen in a million years.

Adding another million people in 20 years can dramatically change that, even in areas like this.

Back