Toronto Cielo Condos | 120.35m | 34s | Collecdev-Markee | KPMB

Site Plan Approval application submitted today:

20200307_073511.jpg
20200307_073336.jpg
20200307_073308.jpg
20200307_073304.jpg

I wonder what's going to happen to the current set of doorways? I believe these were part of the original church design, and were relocated from the church frontage once Bloor Street was widened.

There are some lovely details on them, and it would be a shame to lose them completely, as they seem to be completely gone in the current set of plans ( even though ERA called for their reinstatement on the West facade).

1588718912334.png

Edit: Original facade:
f1231_it0343.jpg

I wonder what's going to happen to the current set of doorways? I believe these were part of the original church design, and were relocated from the church frontage once Bloor Street was widened.

There are some lovely details on them, and it would be a shame to lose them completely, as they seem to be completely gone in the current set of plans ( even though ERA called for their reinstatement on the West facade).

View attachment 244365

Edit: Original facade:
f1231_it0343.jpg

Though this development is largely approved, the City did not approve the design of the first floor facing Bloor, which the City did not feel appropriately responded to the heritage building. The City wanted the Developer to explore reinstating those doors on Bloor Street. The Developer has responded with the following changes to the Bloor Street frontage.
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.38.07 PM.png

Though this development is largely approved, the City did not approve the design of the first floor facing Bloor, which the City did not feel appropriately responded to the heritage building. The City wanted the Developer to explore reinstating those doors on Bloor Street.

I think the new church entrance is still the least satisfactory element of the project, as it feels like it has very little to do with the church- and is hardly an improvement over the current lump.

Honestly they should just reinstall the old doors in their original location at ground level, with maybe the 1920s-era name inscription relocated above the doorway to fill in the extra space. The archways could either be internal doors within a glass vestibule, or as external doors part of a vestibule that blends into the rest of the structure.

If there's concerns about daylighting, I think that replacing the wooden doors with glass ones (retaining the transom windows) would be an acceptable compromise.

Last edited:
Would be nice to this building double in size. Love the slim punctured windows with the golden trim around it! This church deserves at least that!

I like the bronze detailing here. The east section reminds me of the podium on Sixty Colborne, but with the textured grid motif carried upward to the tower.

Wow...that propsed entrance is awful. Yes, keep the doors! I gotta say...I'm not very happy woth the way the tower is with respects to the church, but I'm probably a minority who feel that way.

This (across the front of the church) is garbage: 🤮

1622735881705.png

Back