Toronto 299 Glenlake | 37.79m | 11s | Lormel Homes | Turner Fleischer

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the building would replace the parking lot and a portion of the green space. No docs in yet.

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 9.52.44 AM.png

The application proposes, on the northwest corner of the subject property, an 11-storey building with a 4-storey podium.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=4387362

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 9.52.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 9.52.44 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,728
Interesting how Lormel is getting into large scale rentals in Toronto. Aren't they historically a suburban subdivision builder?

I'm aware - Just interesting that they've jumped into the rental game, not the condo game. That's a very different form of financing structure than being a house builder. Returns are measured in decades instead of months.

299 Glenlake Ave Development Application will be at TEYCC – January 8, 2020

Friends,

The January 8, 2020 Toronto and East York Community Council (TEYCC) will be reviewing and voting on the Final Report for Development Application at 299 Glenlake Avenue.

This application proposes to permit the construction of an 11-storey, 123 unit infill apartment building at 299 Glenlake Avenue. The site currently contains a 30-storey residential apartment building 81 metres in height excluding the mechanical penthouse (86 m including the mechanical penthouse) with 233 units. The new building would be 11 storeys and 33.5 m in height excluding the mechanical penthouse (38.5 m including the mechanical penthouse). The development proposal includes a strip of land to the west approximately 16.2 metres in width adjoining the site at 35, 41-63, 65 and 95 High Park Avenue and 66 and 102-116 Pacific Avenue.

Following a review of the application and two community meetings, City Planning Staff recommend approval of the application. On Planning Staff’s advice, I will be voting to approve the development application. The rationale is provided in a very detailed Staff report available at: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-141301.pdf . At this time, I would ask that you review the report.

This item will be heard on January 8, 2020 after 10 AM in Committee Room #1, 2nd floor, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen St West. If you wish to attend TEYCC or submit written comment, please contact City Clerk, Attn: Ellen Devlin, Administrator, TEYCC, 416-392-7033, email teycc@toronto.ca.ca.

Toronto community councillors approve plan to build High Park rental tower

Glenlake Road highrise will go to city council for final approval Jan. 29

News 02:00 PM by David Nickle

The Toronto and East York Community Council has approved plans to build a residential rental tower at 299 Glenlake Road in the High Park apartment neighbourhood.

The community council voted Jan. 8 to recommend approval of the plan, to build the 11-storey tower adjacent to an existing 30-storey apartment building. As a part of the approval, the owner of the building must agree to keep tenants in the existing building housed for at least 20 years, and to give residents of the existing building access to all the indoor and outdoor amenities of the new one.

Planning staff said the building is in keeping with the provincial growth plan for the Golden Horseshoe, and it fits in with the neighbourhood.

Parkdale-High Park Coun. Gord Perks supported the development.

"None of us like the fact that there is development coming into the City of Toronto but we have to remember that the ecological consequences of development is to be borne in mind," he said. "That's why intensification of neighbourhoods is always preferable to urban sprawl."

The recommended proposal will come to Toronto Council at its Jan. 29 meeting.

Reactions: PMT
Toronto community councillors approve plan to build High Park rental tower

Glenlake Road highrise will go to city council for final approval Jan. 29

News 02:00 PM by David Nickle

"None of us like the fact that there is development coming into the City of Toronto..."

huh?

"None of us like the fact that there is development coming into the City of Toronto..."

huh?
Here's Gord Perks' full quote, so a little more of the context you robbed it of:
"None of us like the fact that there is development coming into the City of Toronto but we have to remember that the ecological consequences of development is to be borne in mind," he said. "That's why intensification of neighbourhoods is always preferable to urban sprawl."

Still not a great opening salvo that panders to the NIMBY hordes, but at least he brings it home in a way his audience can hopefully get on board with.

Here's Gord Perks' full quote, so a little more of the context you robbed it of:

Still not a great opening salvo that panders to the NIMBY hordes, but at least he brings it home in a way his audience can hopefully get on board with.

Not sure how I robbed it of context when the full quote was in the post directly above mine.

Its the assumption that "none of us like development" (even if we might need to accept it here), that is what I was taking issue with.

We all don't dislike development. That's obviously not true. Why, then, make your ward/city out to be a NIMBY monoculture?
That doesn't just pander to NIMBYs. It encourages them.

given how quickly Lormel's other rental project is moving, I wouldn't bank on this one starting any time soon.

Back