Hamilton 282 MacNab Street North | ?m | 10s | Lionheart | KNYMH

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
282 MacNab Street North: a proposed 10-storey condo building designed by McCallum Sather Architects for Durand Development Corporation and St. Jean Properties on the east side of MacNab Street North, north of Murray Street West in Hamilton's West Harbour - James Street North Corridor.

Rendering from McCallum Sather:
Web-scaled.jpg

I'm guessing this is going on one of the two vacant sites directly beside West Harbour GO?

I'm guessing this is going on one of the two vacant sites directly beside West Harbour GO?
Yes. In the render, the red car is parked on MacNab. Grey building on the left is Liuna Station.

From Google street view:
0538203A-CB2D-466D-B335-F0CEA66D5437.png

28251C79-F4A0-4D06-BAC1-6553D5E4AE61.png

Is this project moving forward?

The more I think about the HSR Re-Envision Plan, the more obvious an expanded West Harbour Bus Terminal is needed, and this plot of land could be crucial to that.

Re-Envision has a planned nine HSR routes terminating at a West Harbour terminal, and three HSR routes with a stop planned here. That doesn’t include GO Buses.

I have yet to see a redesigned West Harbour Terminal to accommodate all these new buses.

Is this project moving forward?

The more I think about the HSR Re-Envision Plan, the more obvious an expanded West Harbour Bus Terminal is needed, and this plot of land could be crucial to that.

Re-Envision has a planned nine HSR routes terminating at a West Harbour terminal, and three HSR routes with a stop planned here. That doesn’t include GO Buses.

I have yet to see a redesigned West Harbour Terminal to accommodate all these new buses.
There is a 20-200 million dollar renovation of West Harbour and Hamilton GO Centre happening this summer. No details have been released really, other then something about improved bus facilities, and redesigned station. So there may be something in the works for accommodating those new routes.

There is a 20-200 million dollar renovation of West Harbour and Hamilton GO Centre happening this summer. No details have been released really, other then something about improved bus facilities, and redesigned station. So there may be something in the works for accommodating those new routes.
That would be super interesting. I'm just hoping that this and 41 Stuart across the street move forward sooner than later. They are currently just vacant lots around the corner from our house, and right adjacent to Regional transit service that is soon to be expanded. It should really be development asap.

these buildings are generally too small to be financially viable.

Parking minimum removals are going to help small scale buildings like these - but even then, it may not be enough.

these buildings are generally too small to be financially viable.

Parking minimum removals are going to help small scale buildings like these - but even then, it may not be enough.
What do you think the solution is here then other than reduced parking?

They already appealed to OLT/OMB and settled at this density. The one at 41 Stuart even started marketing it. Are they just waiting for the market on condos near transit to increase in value then develop once that profit margin hits an agreeable percent? Or is the plan here to sell to another developer?

They're unlikely to get more height considering the prior settlements.

It's a property owned by a real estate agent. The guy has no idea what he's doing and won't be the one to actually build it.

He'll probably sit on it for a while until he flips it to someone else who takes it through the zoning process again to get entitlements for something sufficiently large to build. If they can't get that, it'll continue to sit as a vacant lot.

That, or someone will try to make it work at its small scale, likely by trying to cut costs everywhere possible. No parking, reduced setbacks / stepbacks, etc. - some builders are doing smaller buildings like this in Hamilton, they are just really tough to do. CoreUrban is managing by getting strong commercial tenants and selling / leasing at above-market rents through strong marketing packages, all on a building which is built in a very cost-efficient manner.

Glad to hear affirmation that the project as proposed is not likely financially feasible. These sites need to be zoned for double the height they're currently approved for if Hamilton is serious about zero urban boundary expansions, so I'm content to see these projects stall until a major zoning change can occur.

Glad to hear affirmation that the project as proposed is not likely financially feasible. These sites need to be zoned for double the height they're currently approved for if Hamilton is serious about zero urban boundary expansions, so I'm content to see these projects stall until a major zoning change can occur.
I'd prefer 91 units today than 182 units in 10 years adjacent to multi-billion dollar transit infrastructure. There's hundreds of lots within 1 km radius that could see development with more density. I'd prefer these developments just moved forward, provided much needed housing supply sooner and provided increased tax revenue to provide a more stable budget.

Addresses within 500m of the GO Station that will likely see Redevelopment:

- 57 Stuart St
- 81 Stuart St
- 288/290 Bay St N
- 416-422 James St N
- 5-11 Strachan St E
- 4-12 Simcoe St E
- 3-13 Simcoe St E
- 446-454 James St N
- 468 James St N
- 520 James St N
- 501-525 James St N
- 4-10 Picton St W
- 2-12 Ferrie St E
- 418 John St N
- 269 John St N
- 43 Barton St E
- 25 Barton St E
- 220 MacNab St N
- 209 MacNab St N
- 226 James St N
- 275 James St N
- 351 James St N

Easily quadruple this with 1000m or 1.5km

Not to mention 325 James St N, 12 storeys likely to start soon. And the Barton-Tiffany lands and the Film Studios lands, where the density will definitely be higher than what was shown in renders. In addition it's likely the North End and areas south of the station will see increasing missing middle density with duplex, triplex and quadplex conversions and rebuilds. There's going to be 10s of thousands of residents surrounding West Harbour in the future. I'd like to see any of it start today, even if it's not perfect. It increases pressure to improve GO Service as well and provide better HSR connections.

One day the shunting yards might even be moved unlocking space for thousands of homes and additional waterfront park space.

Just thought I'd add that I don't really think Core Urban is renting at above market prices, pretty sure $2650/month is just market rent now in Hamilton for a new build. Marquee wasn't any cheaper and it is a worse building and that was the price 2 years ago.

Last edited:

So I’ve heard. I keep checking for any info every couple weeks, but nothing.

I really hope the City doesn’t plan on turning Strachan into what Gore Park’s transit terminal used to be, but I have little faith in proper and thought-out planning from this City.

Don’t forget, these (City & HSR) staffers used taxpayer money to install Enhanced Bus Shelters in front of their rural Mount Hope head office instead of along the B-Line route as intended.

And people wonder why they don’t want HSR running LRT!?!

So I’ve heard. I keep checking for any info every couple weeks, but nothing.

I really hope the City doesn’t plan on turning Strachan into what Gore Park’s transit terminal used to be, but I have little faith in proper and thought-out planning from this City.

Don’t forget, these (City & HSR) staffers used taxpayer money to install Enhanced Bus Shelters in front of their rural Mount Hope head office instead of along the B-Line route as intended.

And people wonder why they don’t want HSR running LRT!?!
The description of the renovations made it sound like most of the money is being spent at Hamilton GO Centre. Sounded like they are renovating parts of the interior of that station, and possibly even redesigning the bus station there. I also wouldn't be surprised if they modernized the train platform there, as it is quite dated. Probably a new canopy to be more in line with the rest of the GO network.

The description of the renovations made it sound like most of the money is being spent at Hamilton GO Centre. Sounded like they are renovating parts of the interior of that station, and possibly even redesigning the bus station there. I also wouldn't be surprised if they modernized the train platform there, as it is quite dated. Probably a new canopy to be more in line with the rest of the GO network.
Not to take the thread too off-topic, but do you recall when the timeline was? It was summer 2024 correct?

Back