Toronto 280 Jarvis Street | 74.7m | 22s | Antorisa Investments | Giannone Petricone

I can't believe that Harvey's has been there since the 70's! It was there while I was around that area in the late 80's and 90's but I never suspected its history. That corner is going to look really odd with the new condo "towering" Harvey's. I have my memories of the place, but I'm surprised people wanted it to stay. I mean, they could always incorporate a Harvey's as street retail for the new development.

Edit: Jarvis did look amazing with all those trees way back when!

This consultation ended about a half hour ago. It was quite civil, and there were a number of people who declared that it looked "pretty promising", despite the fact that the initial report from Planning is a refusal report. (The refusal mostly comes down to the shadow impact that it makes on Allan Gardens, and that they want to move all three heritage buildings on the property.) There were people in attendance that want the heritage building moves re-thought, but overall, like I said it was all civil. Meanwhile, the 319 Jarvis consultation has now started…

Settlement offer accepted by Council:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.CC5.10

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.CC5.11

Attachments

• 213r2.JPG
    213r2.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 450
Huh, interesting that they couldn't get the Harvey's site.

Doesn't that essentially create a little almost-undevelopable pocket at the corner?

IMO little almost-undevelopable pockets are generally good for the city and the streetscape. It forces fine-grain street level experiences to some extent. Now that could in the future become a park, a public square, a small-scale retail building, a pop up market, a place for food trucks, perhaps the house next door could be turned into a restaurant with a big patio space on the corner where the Harvey's currently is. Now there are so many possibilities!

IMO little almost-undevelopable pockets are generally good for the city and the streetscape. It forces fine-grain street level experiences to some extent. Now that could in the future become a park, a public square, a small-scale retail building, a pop up market, a place for food trucks, perhaps the house next door could be turned into a restaurant with a big patio space on the corner where the Harvey's currently is. Now there are so many possibilities!

Agreed! Plus, Hooker Harveys is probably more historic than the two homes being preserved on this site. Now it can live on forever.

Back