Toronto 26 Laing Street | 52.55m | 14s | Sud Group | BNKC

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was thinking........it's only 1:25pm, I clearly have not been working poor @Paclo hard enough......I mean he's almost caught up. I know how he hates downtime..........

So here's a new application in the AIC to keep him out of mischief.

Site as it is:

1726248365004.png

The app:

The one and only Render:

1726248422574.png

Site Plan:

1726248500582.png

Ground Floor:

1726248548008.png

Proposal Statistics:

1726248625121.png

Elevator Ratio: 166 units - 2 elevators or one elevator per 88 units. This meets with @ProjectEnd 's standards.

Parking Ratio: 11 spaces to 166 units - less than 0.1

Other than the need for a bit more achitectural interest (some colour maybe), I don't think this is bad at all.

I do think the applicant may {and should) get push back on the absence of any street trees on the Eastern Avenue frontage.

The height ask is moderately aggressive, but the precedent is 12s on Eastern within 2 blocks, so I think they're safe at 12 anyway.

The article headline got me all excited, thinking at last Queen East would be getting some serious height, but alas it is on this sad excuse of a street.

The article headline got me all excited, thinking at last Queen East would be getting some serious height, but alas it is on this sad excuse of a street.

I must admit, I don't excited over 'height' at all, in and of itself.

I just don't relate to that idea.

I also don't get the notion that a 14s ask in an area where nothing over 2.5 floors isn't an enormous level of change.

I must admit, I don't excited over 'height' at all, in and of itself.

I just don't relate to that idea.

I also don't get the notion that a 14s ask in an area where nothing over 2.5 floors isn't an enormous level of change.
I may have been being a bit dramatic, this is good project, but also a continuation of our unfortunate habit of putting lots of housing on very polluted and amenity-less arterials.

I may have been being a bit dramatic, this is good project, but also a continuation of our unfortunate habit of putting lots of housing on very polluted and amenity-less arterials.

This is one block south of Queen, its 2 blocks from a huge Loblaws, there will be a transit route added on Eastern later this year, I believe, there's a local park to the immediate north, the nearest community centre is just over 700M away.

There is another large proposal one block away, and Queen/Ashbridge is 750M down the street.

Other than being a considerable distance from a 1/2 decent library.....the area seems fairly well amenitized.

This is how areas evolve and become richer in amenities! Lol

Eastern has always interested me as it is one of the few untapped arterials left in the older city although this is rapidly changing. And now they have a nifty urban beach just a 10 minute walk away! 🏖️

Yeah, the diss on Eastern is not warranted. I'd welcome a smart 14 story building here. Besides, that stretch will doubtless change up again soon enough, further shaking off its somewhat bleak and crusty industrial vibe. I often find myself wondering about how long Canada Post, awash in red ink, will manage to hold onto that giant sorting plant just east of this proposed development. That alone represents significant redevelopment potential. I also suspect that the credit union at the foot of Connaught won't be around much longer.... it's a sorry, bedraggled affair. Many years ago there was a proposal to build a mid-rise residential building there but it eventually fell through; a new development slated for that property is certainly not impossible.

In short, Eastern is changing... the Ontario Line coming though is probably already triggering new proposals that simply aren't yet public. Eastern is already a well-used arterial but it remains spotty in terms of retail. In time I expect it to much more closely resemble Queen Street, almost a stone's throw to the north.

One more thing about Eastern and then I will shut up and that is the development of The Portlands. This has turned Eastern from a street that was on the edge of the residential city to an arterial that is between Leslieville and however many 100,000s end up to the south.

This area is going to change exponentially in the years to come. Eastern Avenue is generally a very unattractive street however this area is very well situated with parks, Lake Ontario, Leslie Street Spit, The Port Lands, Woodbine Beach nearby, shopping, the Ontario line and East Harbour Station, Proximity to Downtown. Need I say more...

One more thing about Eastern and then I will shut up and that is the development of The Portlands. This has turned Eastern from a street that was on the edge of the residential city to an arterial that is between Leslieville and however many 100,000s end up to the south.
Point of clarification: Eastern has long been a dependable east/west arterial into and from downtown, well before most Torontonians even knew the Portlands existed. It has a rich industrial history, although there are relatively few remnants of that left. It's been a messy but vital thoroughfare for several decades - homely and patchy, perhaps, but vital all the same.

Back