Toronto Grainger | 124.5m | 40s | Fitzrovia | Turner Fleischer

It would be nice to see a little more creativity than the square box look. At least round off the corners of the structure or make some walls looks zagged etc!

32 storeys is “too much density” for the downtown core?!
The downtown core's not monolithic. 32 storeys at the eastern end of St. Lawrence is not the same as 32 storeys in the Financial District. This heavy handed scheme is clearly trying to squeeze everything out of the site and then some. What's it giving back in return? Token façadism?

The downtown core's not monolithic. 32 storeys at the eastern end of St. Lawrence is not the same as 32 storeys in the Financial District. This heavy handed scheme is clearly trying to squeeze everything out of the site and then some. What's it giving back in return? Token façadism?

Fully most developers try to "squeeze everything out of the site", which is kinda how the process works. And, if approved, the developer will give back community benefits as prescribed in the city's official plan at the least.

One can dislike the architecture of a proposal (I think this is fairly awful/awkward) while refraining from demonizing developers from doing their job.

The city is going to have a thing or two to say about the size of the floor plates being proposed here. There's no way those are anywhere close to 750 sq m.

Either these towers are going to be really fat, or the units are going to be really tiny. For comparison, this is only 5% fewer units than Aura, which is 78 storeys.

Honestly, I think it's entirely correct to call this proposal, in its current form, an overdevelopment.

Renders from the Dev App site:
Screenshot 2016-10-11 22.42.58.png
Screenshot 2016-10-11 22.43.31.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-10-11 22.43.31.png
    Screenshot 2016-10-11 22.43.31.png
    747.1 KB · Views: 991
  • Screenshot 2016-10-11 22.42.58.png
    Screenshot 2016-10-11 22.42.58.png
    777.3 KB · Views: 1,032
The proposed separation distance between the 2 towers ranges from 16.5 metres to 19.5 metres. The tower separation reflects the nature of contemporary approved and proposed development within the immediate area, including Axiom Condos immediately west of the subject site. The tower components with a separation distance exceeding 18 metres are generally in keeping with the intention of the guidelines.
Oh, come on.

This is what staff had to say about Axiom, BTW:
This rectangular (slab) form of the towers is consistent with the massing and character of other buildings in the surrounding area and allows for a separation distance between the two towers of between 22.1 and 24 metres. Although the City of Toronto Tall Building Design Guidelines identifies a minimum of 25 metres as an appropriate separation distance between towers, the towers are offset, and the curved tower form and non-parallel walls help reduce the negative impacts including reduced privacy, shadowing and access to sky view, that are typically associated with towers being located too close together.

Last edited:
The view from Adelaide is not as wobbly as from King st. This is a tough one, as I'm happy they are doing something different, but on the other hand, their different feels haphazard in a very lacklustre way. Designing good/great architecture is hard though.

I hope the middle block is for bridges/amenities, and not suites, because it'd be fairly dark no? The top connecting block looks to get more sunlight than the middle one.

I'm with those who think the design seems okay but are not excited. I do think they should have gone for a bit more height here, so I really hope this seems short in a another decade. Given how we do things, however, I suppose we need to set more of a precedent for the area before we go much taller. I'll take it considering where we are right now.

Back