Toronto Grainger | 124.5m | 40s | Fitzrovia | Turner Fleischer

Posted on SLNA site www.slna.ca

7e4e76d9-67e1-4820-8abe-d131e0372762.jpg

A Public Statement from the SLNA
For more than 35 years, the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association has played a significant role in shaping new developments in the south east end of the downtown core of Toronto. As a progressive neighbourhood association, we continue to welcome new developments that enhance our city, while at the same time maintaining a vigilant and protective watch over the limited but important heritage assets in this area. Working in partnership with the city, developers and community partners we have helped to make the St. Lawrence neighbourhood one of the most attractive and historically significant areas of Toronto, if not the country.

Unfortunately last week the city made a decision to permit a plan that will seriously damage the heritage fabric of our area while eliminating two heritage buildings from a section of the "original 10 blocks" where our city began. The area of concern is located between 254 - 266 King St. E., 427 - 435 Adelaide St. E. and 156 Princess Street.

Following is the SLNA's public statement on this matter and we encourage our neighbourhood residents to voice their concerns to our interim Councillor, Lucy Troisi.

STATEMENT

Cities that make historic preservation a priority are among the great cities in our world today. Paris, New York, London are memorable places for residents and visitors a like, in part because of their outstanding historic buildings. That desire for historic preservation is or was here in Toronto. It has taken courage and vigilance to protect the "original 10 blocks" where the largest city in Canada began. Between Berkeley and George is where the people of the Town of York first established homes and businesses for what would one day become Toronto and this week a decision was made to permit the demolition and destruction of the heritage fabric that had been so carefully protected by city leaders like our former councillor for Ward 28, the late Pam McConnell.

Unfortunately, the community and the opinion of professional planners was ignored and a plan was confirmed that will cut a swath through the heritage core of our city and that can never be recovered.

We recognize the value of new developments and both celebrate and welcome new design and shapes in our neighbourhood and across the city. But we have the expertise and ability to build with intelligence and sensitivity so that the heritage focal points and areas of the city are not unnecessarily obliterated in the process.
The St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association is the last line of defence for protecting this significant corner of our city's heritage core, but sadly without local political leadership on this matter we are at a terrible disadvantage. Toronto we have to do better at protecting our heritage legacy if we are truly to be a great city.

This has been approved at the board via settlement - and the verbal description of the project matches the plans from august.

if there is any consolation - the plans are very basic, which leads me to believe that this is a "zone and flip" project. Hopefully the buyer will come up with a bit nicer looking of a project. Still not really happy with the density approved here though - the tower separation is extremely tight and the towers go right up to the property line.

Last edited:
This has been approved at the board via settlement - and the verbal description of the project matches the plans from august.

if there is any consolation - the plans are very basic, which leads me to believe that this is a "zone and flip" project. Hopefully the buyer will come up with a bit nicer looking of a project. Still not really happy with the density approved here though - the tower separation is extremely tight and the towers go right up to the property line.
Gag. Ridiculous for the area.

At least the bridge is gone and we are slowly inching towards a time that the OMB rules are no longer in effect (ie. applications filed post nov 2017 IIRC)

Our beloved supreme leader has stated that changes are coming to the LPAT again anyway - the old system may well return.

I don't know, I think the density here is pretty okay. The towers are pretty bad looking, though. I hope they get a design rethink.

Our beloved supreme leader has stated that changes are coming to the LPAT again anyway - the old system may well return.

From what I've read and seen, I don't see an alternative. The OMB has been instrumental in dragging Ontario in the 21st century of development- especially in cities like Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, etc. From my point of view, the solution was never to throw out the rules. It needed more resources and people needed more education about how it worked.

Back