Toronto 25 St Mary | 204m | 59s | Tenblock | gh3

the fact that buildings like this are getting demolished and replaced but the 2 storey houses directly behind it are sacrosanct is a crime against this planet.

I don't think the homes behind it need to be sacrosanct, and I will wager they won't be within a few years.

Now, that said, I love the character of that little section of St. Nicholas with the intimate scale.

I would want to see that preserved; and indeed, I hope in this proposal, it will be extended (with towers above, but with the illusion of intimately scaled homes at street level on that side of the site.)

In looking at the aerial of the homes to the south.

There is a challenge to do with separation distances:

1619105231313.png

But I believe it can managed.

As the existing homes in this block are not heritage, they can all be cleared, but the illusion of their scale can be replicated along St.Nicholas.

The footprint would look something like this:

1619105362056.png

The remainder of the site could actually be a very functional 7,000ft 2 intimate park space.

There are precedents - 7. St. Thomas - it can be done a bit more aggressive if it is coordinated with development on the entire block.

AoD

Although 7 St. Thomas still feels a little sterile (I think it just needs some time), I would be over the moon if they could achieve something similar here.

As the existing homes in this block are not heritage, they can all be cleared, but the illusion of their scale can be replicated along St.Nicholas.

As for the houses/apartments on the West side of St. Nicholas I'm not holding my breath on any new development. Each house has at least three doors so I think the density is higher than it seems.

As to this site, I wish they can keep the existing building and build a point tower to the west - aligned with the "wing" of the existing building. I am sure there will be separation issues with the site next door though.

AoD

As to this site, I wish they can keep the existing building and build a point tower to the west - aligned with the "wing" of the existing building. I am sure there will be separation issues with the site next door though.

AoD

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

@Northern Light will any of the existing trees impact the design on the building? There seem to be a few mature trees (particularly the one at the lobby entrance) that they might have to work around.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

@Northern Light will any of the existing trees impact the design on the building? There seem to be a few mature trees (particularly the one at the lobby entrance) that they might have to work around.

The tree by-law, in general does not allow for saving a tree directly in the way of an otherwise legal development proposal.

However, the compensation rises, based on the size of the tree (more plantings and/or cash result)

The City may, in informal discussions try to preserve some of the trees.

They'll move them or accept the 10:1 replacement requirement for removal. There's no way a tree sitting on the interior of the site will prevent development here.
The tree by-law, in general does not allow for saving a tree directly in the way of an otherwise legal development proposal.

However, the compensation rises, based on the size of the tree (more plantings and/or cash result)

The City may, in informal discussions try to preserve some of the trees.

TIL, thank you both for the replies

Wow, planning to demolish a 24 storey apartment building - has anything on a similar scale been done in Toronto before? I can't think of an example.

Taking a look at the site:

This tree looks like a decent specimen. But its location almost certainly precludes it surviving any redevelopment:

1619111112290.png

These 2 trees (outside the fence line) actually belong to the City, so they could be saved, in theory, but looking at them, they don't appear to be in great health.

1619110993637.png

(above) The Austrian Pine in behind wouldn't be a great loss.

This guy along the St. Nicholas frontage might be worth saving and plausible to save:

1619111306219.png

On the rear frontage, this one would be a shame to lose:

1619111390101.png

These Austrian Pines behind it look like dead men walking now. (not worth saving)

1619111467355.png

But this tree in the south-west corner looks decent:

1619111537454.png

As does this one along the midsection of the west property line.

1619111649926.png

This is the closest in recent memory:

That site is still underutilized today even years later with no word of future use. A surface lot next to a giant parking garage. I get it'll probably be used for future hospital expansions but it feels like they are working on every other site other than that one. I hope plans are coming soon because it's really quite sad with unused land so close to a prime subway station.

As for 25 St Mary, I don't particularly think the site is too underused, I quite enjoy the unique shape and white brick, but I am curious to see how large they are going to go here. It's strange this one is starting up yet those two abandoned buildings on Yonge that is next to this site have gone quiet for a while now. So much prime land yet to build on.

That site is still underutilized today even years later with no word of future use. A surface lot next to a giant parking garage. I get it'll probably be used for future hospital expansions but it feels like they are working on every other site other than that one. I hope plans are coming soon because it's really quite sad with unused land so close to a prime subway station.

As for 25 St Mary, I don't particularly think the site is too underused, I quite enjoy the unique shape and white brick, but I am curious to see how large they are going to go here. It's strange this one is starting up yet those two abandoned buildings on Yonge that is next to this site have gone quiet for a while now. So much prime land yet to build on.

Toronto General's redevelopment is relatively recent.

It also strikes me as unlikely that you'll see them put medical services on two sides of the street. Its certainly possible, but I don't think its likely.

I could envision a project similar to Sick Kids where Administration, and Support Services were moved out of the main complex.

A further research tower is also plausible.

But there's nothing in the immediate offing of which I am aware.

This is what UHN had to say about that site, in 2013:

1619120028763.png

Back