Toronto 25 Mabelle | 159.05m | 49s | Tribute | BDP Quadrangle

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
More density for Bloor/Islington, right next to the three-tower Islington Terrace project.

25 MABELLE AVE
Ward 03 - Etob. York District

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 10.26.37 AM.png

55 storey mixed use development located within the open space area of an existing high-rise rental building at the subject property.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=4502889

Downtown Etobicoke is seemingly becoming a thing. There are still so many potential infill sites in the area - so much wasted space around the towers-in-parks. Fill all that crap in to create a vibrant urbanity.

I would suggest that this building come with another pedestrian access over or under the railway, and connecting to Islington subway station at its west end, while also making is easy to get to Bloor Street. The superblock created by the railway needs to be cut down in size through better access: Mabelle needs to be better knit into the surroundings.

Downtown Etobicoke is seemingly becoming a thing. There are still so many potential infill sites in the area - so much wasted space around the towers-in-parks. Fill all that crap in to create a vibrant urbanity.
Jezus, 55 storeys in Etobicoke. None of the suburbs seem immune to these new super-sized suburban towers.
Bring it on. :)

With Six Points opening up that whole area, I want to see a high-rise forest from Islington all the way to the 427. Perhaps one day this area will compete with North York for longest skyline in the city outside of the downtown core. (It is 3.5km from Islington to 427, whereas it is 2.75km from the 401 to Finch.)

---

At this location, I agree that a cross-track connection here would be vital. Currently at Mabelle, you have to trek the long way around to reach Islington Station.

Bring it on. :)

With Six Points opening up that whole area, I want to see a high-rise forest from Islington all the way to the 427. Perhaps one day this area will compete with North York for longest skyline in the city outside of the downtown core. (It is 3.5km from Islington to 427, whereas it is 2.75km from the 401 to Finch.)

---

At this location, I agree that a cross-track connection here would be vital. Currently at Mabelle, you have to trek the long way around to reach Islington Station.
I'd love for this stretch of Etobicoke to turn into even half of what North York Centre is today, but the key is not just building 40+ story condos wrapping all around the district until the sun dont shine. Hi-Rise is definitely appropriate for Mabelle Ave, but like what has been mentioned above, the streetscape experience is just piss pour on this street and needs to be improved. The same goes for Bloor St, west of Islington, as well as Dundas Street west of Kipling. The current proposals along Dundas do nothing to address the issue.

Another point i'd like to make is: that in order for a "city centre" to actually function like a city centre, there needs to be more than just residential being built.

I'd love for this stretch of Etobicoke to turn into even half of what North York Centre is today, but the key is not just building 40+ story condos wrapping all around the district until the sun dont shine. Hi-Rise is definitely appropriate for Mabelle Ave, but like what has been mentioned above, the streetscape experience is just piss pour on this street and needs to be improved. The same goes for Bloor St, west of Islington, as well as Dundas Street west of Kipling. The current proposals along Dundas do nothing to address the issue.

Another point i'd like to make is: that in order for a "city centre" to actually function like a city centre, there needs to be more than just residential being built.
Yeah, I was joking about this to a friend who lives near this site when I mentioned this proposal. Will everyone moving in here and nearby future development sites going to be jumping on the Line 2 to head to their workplace downtown? Or drive to their place of work in Mississauga?

No office proposals in this area will hurt the long-term viability of central Etobicoke.

I'm not sure how to address this issue from a regulatory standpoint. Perhaps by imposing that the 2nd and 3rd floor of condo podiums must be office or something, but we can't even get that right at a strong node like Yonge&Eglinton, let alone in the burbs.

Does that ever stick out like a sore thumb. I hope each suite comes with a bullet proof vest. Terrible area.

Does that ever stick out like a sore thumb. I hope each suite comes with a bullet proof vest. Terrible area.

Calling this neighbourhood "terrible" seems like quite an overstatement.

I grew up in one of the community housing buildings on Mabelle (20+ years) and its actually a great community. What helps the neighbourhood immensely is that it's surrounded by middle class homes / amenities and Islington Village is quite the gem. I partially moved to the St Lawrence Market neighbourhood in order to have that mix of Torontonians that I really enjoyed.

Anyways.... This proposal (assuming it's just a density vision we're seeing) looks good to me. What I would love to see is a pedestrian crossing from this building or possibly 25 or 41 and across to Islington Station. It would save many of the residents here quite a bit of time walking to and from the station.

Back