Toronto 2444 Yonge Street | 114.27m | 31s | Main and Main | Hariri Pontarini

Wonder what this machine could be for...

A sign of upcoming movement on this site?

IMG_20190814_140519.jpg

an incoherent blob that looks like 4 buildings collided into each other. The 13-storey slab of a "podium" is the biggest disgrace to planning principles I've seen in recent memory. The only attention given to the surrounding context is the materiality / warm colour tones chosen.

I don't know how this can be stopped, but today's rather charming two-storey frontages on Yonge from Erskine north to Lytton Blvd, which make it such a family-friendly, non big box retail, mom + pop retailing strip, is soon to disappear. So many independent retailers have worked so hard to make their livelihoods here, become part of this neighbourhood, yet eventually will have to give it up to these hellish 'podiums of bad chains' with condos up top. Sad to see this will be the future of Yonge north to Lawrence.

The podium looks alright. Densification among Yonge is inevitable. I agree that the current three storey buildings are charming, but this stretch already has chain and big box stores - Sporting Life, Gap, Sports Chek, Best Buy.

Reactions: xy3
I actually really love the overall look of it. Density looks nuts (in a good way) but the height is restrained. I love the meshing of different styles and punched-out windows.The big arch support looks pretty cool too, and the street-level retail isn't a totally blank flat face. Very very good to my eyes.

Wow! I love this new rendering better than the old. I like the tan coloured punctured window look for the Podium half. It's got that 60 70s vibe as you can see in the photos up above.

Back