Toronto LNX Residences at Bloor and Dundas | 87.5m | 27s | Lormel Homes | Richmond Architects

^lol I live in this neighbourhood! The neighbourhood is very stable once you get off Dundas onto the side streets.

I don't fully agree with you on this, yes it's stable on the west side of Dundas, but head east beyond the railway tracks, or south to the area behind Loblaws and I think it's a totally different story.

^^Tracks are a pretty big barrier so the west side is really the neighbourhood Crossways is in. In any event the area east of the tracks may be more transitional but certainly not in decline. Bloor/Lansdowne is starting to improve and the residential area is great. You have to go pretty far north of Bloor to near Dupont before you get to the rougher apartment blocks.

If someone converts the old Chairtex warehouse up the street all that would be left between Bloor and the Wallace bridge is redevelopment of the Freshco/SDM plaza, which will presumably happen at some point. This is consistent with the Mobility Hub plan.

The Chairtex building got cleared out starting around October 2010, and during late 2011 underwent some renovations. Hard to tell what they did, but it appeared they were working on the roof and upper floors. It has also been fenced off and secured more. So maybe something is happening with this building....

There's also supposed to be a new Beer Store coming around here sometime in 2013 to replace the one at Dundas and Howard Park (http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/1219) and I've wondered if it's going into Chairtex.

I saw the article on the Beer Store originally, but don't see how it uses the Chairtex site as it has no parking (as noted by a commenter on the thread you link to). I was wondering about the Budget site on the other side of the street, they could build with street frontage and a little parking in the back. Can't imagine the neighbours on Chelsea would be very happy about that though. The Freshco parking lot seems the most obvious, but it wouldn't jibe with the statement in the article that a property was "acquired" as I would assume they could only lease a new-build in the parking lot. But that might be what they meant.

I saw the article on the Beer Store originally, but don't see how it uses the Chairtex site as it has no parking (as noted by a commenter on the thread you link to). I was wondering about the Budget site on the other side of the street, they could build with street frontage and a little parking in the back. Can't imagine the neighbours on Chelsea would be very happy about that though. The Freshco parking lot seems the most obvious, but it wouldn't jibe with the statement in the article that a property was "acquired" as I would assume they could only lease a new-build in the parking lot. But that might be what they meant.

How about a Beer store in that mall where the Loblaws/Zellers and new LCBO are...looks like there is more than enough room to build a decent size store.
I wouldnt imagine there are any plans for re-development of that mall...and if so knowing that area, it would probably be 10 years down the line.

But the Beer Store rep said north of Bloor.

The Loblaws south of Bloor is on a very large development site. There are big plans for the site in the Mobility Hub study, but I don't know any particular reason why we would expect those to come to fruition. With its good transit access and assuming continued growth in the area I would expect Loblaws (which I believe owns the site) to build a streetfront Loblaws and sell off the back of the lot to condo developers. The Zellers lease was acquired by Target and not sold to Wal-Mart but that doesn't mean that Target will go in here (I wouldn't expect it given how close the Stockyards Target will be, though this would be one of only sites with subway access). They may just sell lease back to Loblaws.

But the Beer Store rep said north of Bloor.

The Loblaws south of Bloor is on a very large development site. There are big plans for the site in the Mobility Hub study, but I don't know any particular reason why we would expect those to come to fruition. With its good transit access and assuming continued growth in the area I would expect Loblaws (which I believe owns the site) to build a streetfront Loblaws and sell off the back of the lot to condo developers. The Zellers lease was acquired by Target and not sold to Wal-Mart but that doesn't mean that Target will go in here (I wouldn't expect it given how close the Stockyards Target will be, though this would be one of only sites with subway access). They may just sell lease back to Loblaws.

The lot is not owned by Loblaws AFAIK. If you recall, two years ago or so, Zellers was having a closing out sale and ready to shut down. Reason was that the landlord was delaying lease renew for some unknown reason leaving Zellers no choice but to start liquidating. I hardly think LPL would be so irresponsible. Also, I do not know if Target purchased this Zellers. Remember, Target only bought 189 of 272ish Zellers and this one doesn't look like a real bargain to purchase.

That jog of road (Dundas) from Bloor to Keele, has to be one of the most depressing thoroughfares in the city....it definitely needs help.

How is it depressing? From Keele to Annette is the nicely built up and historic Junction strip with good streetscape investments and some interesting businesses, and from Annette to Bloor it's a mix of clean Victorian and early 20th-century houses, storefronts, and converted factories, with some isolated pockets of urban decay. There are some things to address like a few ugly corners and the dysfunctional Dundas/Annette/Dupont intersection, but it's a generally pleasant thoroughfare.

Though the Keele-to-Annette stretch is more problematic than the one west of Keele (due in part to the continuing presence of shelters)

The lot is not owned by Loblaws AFAIK. If you recall, two years ago or so, Zellers was having a closing out sale and ready to shut down. Reason was that the landlord was delaying lease renew for some unknown reason leaving Zellers no choice but to start liquidating. I hardly think LPL would be so irresponsible. Also, I do not know if Target purchased this Zellers. Remember, Target only bought 189 of 272ish Zellers and this one doesn't look like a real bargain to purchase.

I may be wrong about Loblaws, but thought I had heard that at one of the avenue study public meetings. However, Target definitely acquired the Zellers lease for this location, it was one of the listed locations in a press release Target sent out last September. This does not mean Target will open a store there. They sold some assumed leases to Wal-Mart, but not this one. They have not announced opening a store here. So they could sell it back to the landlord, sell it to someone else, or eventually open a store.

I may be wrong about Loblaws, but thought I had heard that at one of the avenue study public meetings. However, Target definitely acquired the Zellers lease for this location, it was one of the listed locations in a press release Target sent out last September. This does not mean Target will open a store there. They sold some assumed leases to Wal-Mart, but not this one. They have not announced opening a store here. So they could sell it back to the landlord, sell it to someone else, or eventually open a store.

Really? I don't remember seeing this particular Zellers on that list. Do you happen to have a link?

Anyway, highly doubtful Wal-Mart would be interested, they have two locations already in the area (Dufferin Mall, Stockyards).

Oh, btw, I think you're underestimating the cross traffic (ped & vehicular) between the Junction Triangle and this site. The Wallace Ave. Bridge almost always has people crossing at most times of the day. Freshco being the closest supermarket to a large chunk of the Triangle as well as the proximity of Dundas West Stn. are big contributing factors.

Back