Hamilton 231 Main Street West | ?m | 30s | Brown Wharf

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
30 storey building at the southeast corner of Main St and Queen St. By my count, this is the 40th building over 20 storeys proposed or under construction in downtown Hamilton.

5AIsG_vaPpenjqaVgYfg6QkUvX1JB1XtoKAn-UJPJCSSbuhFElsuCEZLHKV8qcAFug3ZFozthNjs5QYn0Vay-xxAAynKlK1Fuzi13-AXjAIQnh5j5lTFp747AG2kSHg4OWk_aTWz_xl1MJg5pQnHunIgE9cssmlCu_3wL8S3nonD0gII4ZTVbbtuE4fAxKkI1m6W4lHA

Staff has recommended that council move to designate 54 & 56 Hess Street South under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.
PED23218 Appendix C-0.jpg
PED23218 Appendix C-1.jpg
PED23218 Appendix C-2.jpg

More images of the property can be found here.
More info regarding heritage attributes can be read here.

The proponent opposes Staff's recommendation and intends to demolish the structures, stating the following:
The City of Hamilton is well aware of the fact that this building is in a serious state of physical deterioration and that our client’s consulting engineer has recommended that the building should be demolished. Our client is in the process of assessing the situation and applying for the necessary demolition permit from the City of Hamilton.

Staff has recommended that council move to designate 54 & 56 Hess Street South under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.
View attachment 510751View attachment 510752View attachment 510753
More images of the property can be found here.
More info regarding heritage attributes can be read here.

The proponent opposes Staff's recommendation and intends to demolish the structures, stating the following:
Then I don't know, maybe they should have repaired it?

Demolition by neglect. Fix it or don't buy 150 year old buildings.

Then I don't know, maybe they should have repaired it?

Demolition by neglect. Fix it or don't buy 150 year old buildings.
This whole project is looking a lot worse in my eyes than it already was. You're telling me that some of the best looking heritage homes need to be demolished or assimilated into a tower here? On a rear parking lot no less? One of our first projects where significant heritage retention is needed and the developer, who knowingly bought multiple heritage properties, gawks at the idea of restoring (what appears to be) a limestone structure? This is ala Toronto; it’s not an unfamiliar arrangement at all in the region. I’m almost 100% certain this scenario has played out there.

If I’m being honest, I’m fine with this one going back to the drawing board if they can’t figure this out. It’s not exactly one of our prime empty lots screaming for development; it’s really being crammed in. The city is in the right; clearly say the developer doesn’t have the leeway it thinks it does. Do your due diligence and accommodate accordingly.

Some clearly think they can slip a fast one past the City of Hamilton, as if we’re some small town. If you want to throw 30 storeys here, retain it all or buzz off. I don’t think the OLT will be much more forgiving.

Back