Toronto 2221 Yonge Condos | 192.62m | 58s | Tower Hill | Pei Partnership

Things are moving rapidly and they certainly aren't wasting any time on this one! Came home this evening to see this huge banner going up on the building. Images from moments ago.

Website's up as well, taking registrations: http://2221yonge.com/

8501954804_844f20760d_b.jpg

8500846793_a994baeaa1_b.jpg

LeftCoaster on SSP is reporting that sales for E-condos were indeed poor overall. I think this + the site down the road (i.e. the furniture store redevelopment) + e-condos.

Its just too much for this area to absorb. I predict we see at least one canceled outright, and another delayed.

There's also another dozen (or so) fair-sized developments in the area already at various stages of planning. Yonge & Eligible has long been regarded as one of the city's most desirable areas, but at this point it appears that market supply greatly exceeds demands. Most of these proposals will have to be delayed until the market heats up again.

That's my guess exactly.

The following are under construction today:
2 on the west side of Yonge just north and south of Eglinton (Brewick and Neon).
The large project on Eglinton East (The Madison).
Just to the east of Yonge near roehampton (Minto 30 Roe).

The following have been marketed for a while now:
101 Erskine (tridel)
E-condo

New proposals (not marketing yet):
- Several on the east side (around Redpath and Broadway)
- One south of Eglinton on the east side of Yonge.
- 2 directly on Yonge north of Eglinton (One in old post office, One in retail plaza).
- 1 just of Yonge to the west (over existing rental building)
- 1 just north off Yonge near erskine.
- 1 large project south of Yonge on the existing Art Shoppe.
- 1 large project south of Yonge (this thread / 2221 Yonge).

- Won't count this as I believe its a long way a way by the old TTC bus bay as well (and also the office building just north of this).

I think I got em all :) ... that's a CRAZY amount. No way most of these will make it. Not to mention there are several closer to Davisville and several closer to Lawrence.

The old bus bay won't be able to be redeveloped until 2020 or so, it's going to be the launch shaft for the ECLRT.

I think I got em all :) ... that's a CRAZY amount. No way most of these will make it. Not to mention there are several closer to Davisville and several closer to Lawrence.

Is 30 Roe under construction already?

The counter point to this argument is that the burst of new development in this mature & desirable node may actually draw attention to it from otherwise uninformed foreign investors who for the most part haven't considered anything north of Bloor to be within their shooting range.

Most likely the lesser reputable names behind some of these projects will fall out and collapse under the weight of their financing structures while the experienced pros will do just fine & indeed likely pick up some of their slack.

This building is such garbage.

The podium along Yonge is as bleak as a 70's rental apartment building. Such brutal and mean looking architecture. A sea of grey and repetition.

What does this behemoth contribute to the city? It's removing an office building and several retail stores and replacing them with 100's of poorly-designed one bedroom cookie cutter apartments.

I it looks fine. It's shaped a bit like a super-slender version of Gropius' Pan Am building in New York. It's also ordinary enough it looks like it could have been built anywhere at any time from the 50's to the '60's.
Glad we're getting more construction, etc. etc. Pei is quite a name to have attached to a project - he's interesting. I don't know how his sons running the place will show in projects now though. The renderings are fine and undistinguished. In short, it's got a Pei name, but a thoroughly Toronto ordinariness. Sometimes Pei's work has been all about the details. We'll see.

CN: read the front page story, and you'll see that this has nothing to do with IM Pei and only with his sons who have had a separate practise for 21 years now. There's a link on the front page story to their website.

Is 30 Roe under construction already?

The counter point to this argument is that the burst of new development in this mature & desirable node may actually draw attention to it from otherwise uninformed foreign investors who for the most part haven't considered anything north of Bloor to be within their shooting range.

Most likely the lesser reputable names behind some of these projects will fall out and collapse under the weight of their financing structures while the experienced pros will do just fine & indeed likely pick up some of their slack.

Roe started last week ; - )

That's my guess exactly.

The following are under construction today:
2 on the west side of Yonge just north and south of Eglinton (Brewick and Neon).
The large project on Eglinton East (The Madison).
Just to the east of Yonge near roehampton (Minto 30 Roe).

The following have been marketed for a while now:
101 Erskine (tridel)
E-condo

New proposals (not marketing yet):
- Several on the east side (around Redpath and Broadway)
- One south of Eglinton on the east side of Yonge.
- 2 directly on Yonge north of Eglinton (One in old post office, One in retail plaza).
- 1 just of Yonge to the west (over existing rental building)
- 1 just north off Yonge near erskine.
- 1 large project south of Yonge on the existing Art Shoppe.
- 1 large project south of Yonge (this thread / 2221 Yonge).

- Won't count this as I believe its a long way a way by the old TTC bus bay as well (and also the office building just north of this).

Here's a list I compiled of construction projects and proposals in the Yonge & Eg area.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/8141-Yonge-amp-Eglinton?p=708351#post708351

Back