Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
2221 Yonge Condos 
2221 Yonge St, Toronto
Developer: Tower Hill Development Corporation

2221 Yonge Condos | 193m | 58s | Tower Hill | Pei Partnership

Tulse

That's such a banal-looking building. I suppose that it at least replaces an even more banal mid-rise, so there's that. But I'll miss not having the Quesada for lunches.

Critique

Pathetic. Whoever designed this should be arrested and be put in a padded room that has a picture of this building on the walls. When he finally see's his idiocy, he can have his sentence shortened by 3 years.

Honestly, are those air conditioner units side by side or is that a balcony? And what about that base? The paving on the street looks better than the damn building. :mad:

Lansdude

You guys are just snobs. Sometimes cheap things are good. Imagine if every building, like this one, could be built for a hundred dollars.

jje1000

Definitely, tower is fine to me; the podium is really no different than what's standing there right now. Underwhelming considering that it's coming from Pei Partnership.

Looking at some of the interior shots of the lobby, the sloping plantings might be interesting though.

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Ridiculously over-the-top criticism from some.

The building has a reserved retro-modernist design to it, harkening back to 60s through its proportions. It's meant to have a calm, dignified, quietly confident manner.

Not for you? Other buildings will dazzle where this one just wants to be serene.

SP!RE

°°°°°°
I think the disappointment stems from the fact that we had our hopes up from the fact that this tower is being designed by a firm that doesn't usually do a lot of work in Toronto (even if ultimately they are just relatives of Pei).

What we got is indeed reserved-- but so is most every recent condo development in Toronto.

AlbertC

greenleaf

JBM weighs in:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...but-a-less-than-stellar-plan/article12706385/

"The main entrance is bland, the porte-cochere, advertised as “grand,” is dull. True, the building will show a little more concrete than we’re used to seeing in glassy high-rises – the edges of the floorplates flip up to form balcony fronts here and there – but this move isn’t enough to relieve the tedium of the tower’s appearance. The best thing that can be said about the project is that, viewed as a whole, it isn’t entirely awful – though the Yonge Street façade of the six-storey podium, which looks like a parking garage, is in fact pretty awful.

That’s not good enough. Every condo tower in this city doesn’t have to be a stunning show-stopper. But every one can and should do Toronto the favour of not being tiresome – especially one that’s set to go up in an interesting, busy neighbourhood such as Yonge and Eglinton. Every tall structure should contribute something, however small, to the local conversation about the art of building and living tall. This one doesn’t."

SP!RE

°°°°°°
I generally think architectural "critics" in our local papers sound like raging tits, but I do agree with his evaluation entirely.

Here's a video that helps put this building in context with its surroundings:

Any idea on the status of the appeal?

Last edited by a moderator: