Brampton 22 John Street | 129.23m | 39s | 2088205 Ontario Ltd | Onespace

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Pre-consultation for a Downtown Brampton property, currently occupied by four houses, three of which are heritage listed.

The owners wants to build 35 storeys, with retail and office uses on the lower floors and 285 residential units above.

The interest in building new highrises in Downtown Brampton has never been so big, though apart from the Railroad Street towers, none have yet broken ground.

Fullscreen capture 2022-03-12 42111 PM.jpg

Pre-consultation for a Downtown Brampton property, currently occupied by four houses, three of which are heritage listed.

The owners wants to build 35 storeys, with retail and office uses on the lower floors and 285 residential units above.

The interest in building new highrises in Downtown Brampton has never been so big, though apart from the Railroad Street towers, none have yet broken ground.

View attachment 385091

My first observation is that the proponent is almost certainly envisioning demolition of the homes, since these lots have at most about 20M from the rear of the buildings to the lot line.

Assuming separation distances were required, that would not afford a building opportunity.

Having looked at the properties, (I will share the street view below), I must say, I'm not taken by them at first blush as architectural specimens. On top of which there is some evidence of condition issues.

These are the more westerly (Main St. side) properties:

1647130475914.png

This is the corner lot to the east:

1647130518853.png

Frankly, at first blush, the stand-out feature on these lots that I would want to see preserved would be these trees:

1647130683492.png

They're in the range of 4s tall, and appear, at a distance to be in decent health.

Proposal for a 39-storey highrise with a mix of student housing (up to the 10th floor, with  27 2-bedroom units and 50 4-bedroom units) and 276 apartments above. (25 Bachelor,133 1 Bedroom, 103 2 Bedroom, 15 3 Bedroom, with a retail unit on the corner of John and Chapel. The landowners/developers are listed as Mr. Mario Matteo Silvestro, Mr. Guido D’Alesio, and 2088205 Ontario Ltd.

The architecture is blah - it wouldn't look out of place on College Street near U of T or Dundas St East. There's only one elevator for the student units (which have a separate entrance), and three for the apartment units.

Going to the August 22 planning and development meeting.

John St.jpg

John St - Ground Floor.jpg
John St - 3rd Floor.jpg

John St - 12th Floor.jpg

Proposal for a 39-storey highrise with a mix of student housing (up to the 10th floor, with  27 2-bedroom units and 50 4-bedroom units) and 276 apartments above. (25 Bachelor,133 1 Bedroom, 103 2 Bedroom, 15 3 Bedroom, with a retail unit on the corner of John and Chapel. The landowners/developers are listed as Mr. Mario Matteo Silvestro, Mr. Guido D’Alesio, and 2088205 Ontario Ltd.

The architecture is blah - it wouldn't look out of place on College Street near U of T or Dundas St East. There's only one elevator for the student units (which have a separate entrance), and three for the apartment units.

Going to the August 22 planning and development meeting.

Is there nothing in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act requiring a redundant elevator in new builds? You can't be leaving people trapped in their unit for weeks if there's a planned or unplanned outage/breakdown.

Last edited:
Is their nothing in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act requiring a redundant elevator in new builds? You can't be leaving people trapped in their unit for weeks if there's a planned or unplanned outage/breakdown.

That's a really good question. The other three elevators appear to be sealed on the 2nd through 10th floors. That's a long climb up for anyone should that single elevator go down.

That's a really good question. The other three elevators appear to be sealed on the 2nd through 10th floors. That's a long climb up for anyone should that single elevator go down.

Never mind if someone needs a wheelchair!

Since the two stairwells appear accessible to both condo floors and student housing floors, I don’t see why a fob system can’t be used with all elevators available to all residents.

This is one of the first times I’ve seen a “poor door” entry used in Canada too.

I get that there’s a need for student housing in Brampton – even Sheridan College has a lot of foreign students, never mind the planned downtown post-secondary campus – but I don’t like how the two uses are segregated as they are.

...lots of pointless horizontal lines suggests the window walls isn't going to be the best caliber for this one. And to put it mildly.

In addition to the elevator situation, this building is just very poorly amenitized for a student housing building. The proponent should take note of what other dedicated student housing buildings in the region are doing with their projects.

Back