Toronto 2180 Yonge | 247m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

I expect Canadian Tire to move to a "hybrid" model with most staff working more days from home. Workspaces will be shared. This will significantly decrease the square footage required. That being said, some space being leased at Y-E Centre no longer be needed and incorporated somehow to Canada Square.

Even with a hybrid model, there's still a need for more space at CT. Keep in mind that CT not only leases space at 2180/2190, but also throughout other office buildings in the area and GTA. CT REIT owns 50% of Canada Square, so the incentive to consolidate within the property is high.

You are correct about switching to a hybrid model though. The idea is complete flexibility for teams to choose the model that works best for them.

BMO has also signed a lease to move out of Canada Square and move into the old Sporting Life Bike store. From my understanding, Oxford bought BMO out to get them out of the property.

BMO has also signed a lease to move out of Canada Square and move into the old Sporting Life Bike store. From my understanding, Oxford bought BMO out to get them out of the property.
Where was this Sporting Life?

Where was this Sporting Life?
The NW corner of Yonge and Roselawn Avenue. This was known as the Boards and Bikes store. There was always a large mural of cyclists and/or snowboarders painted on the south side of the building.

When did this location close? This was my preferred location over the main store a few blocks to the north.

The NW corner of Yonge and Roselawn Avenue. This was known as the Boards and Bikes store. There was always a large mural of cyclists and/or snowboarders painted on the south side of the building.

When did this location close? This was my preferred location over the main store a few blocks to the north.
They closed it about a month or two ago. New landlord pre Covid upped the rent and they decided to move everything into the main store. As a twist of fate, the BMO is going in across the street from the BMO that was torn down a few years back.

They closed it about a month or two ago. New landlord pre Covid upped the rent and they decided to move everything into the main store. As a twist of fate, the BMO is going in across the street from the BMO that was torn down a few years back.
They tore down that beautiful BMO and the plot is still sitting empty.

From Oxford Properties Group's Nov. 23 Virtual Community Meeting: https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.c...2020-11-09_Public_Meeting_FINAL_optimized.pdf

1606426923652.png

1606426932489.png

1606427014229.png

1606427063974.png

1606427095525.png

1606427132557.png

1606427186925.png

1606427218889.png

Massing model(s)/Renderings:

1606427793809.png

1606427832138.png

1606428682378.png

1606428217549.png

1606428368815.png

Timeline:

1606428445169.png

Attachments

• 1606427972187.png
    1606427972187.png
    475.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Awesome post @ferusian !

Preliminary thoughts:

Happy to hear about the purpose built rental.

Glad to see the office space.

No problem w/density/height

Don't like the layout, don't like the way in which the park/open space is imagined.

It really feels like a very odd way to structure the site.

The open space mid-site would be heavily shadowed at mid-day.

The City is contemplating decking over the subway corridor for park space; this fails to facilitate a future connection.

My immediate thought, I would prefer to shift the one tower more up against Yonge, allowing for a wide public passage to the park from Yonge.

Then something more like an L-Shaped Park coming straight up from the subway corridor (could be angled to the west a bit; then out to Duplex.

This would allow sun to come into the interior of the site.

It also has the advantage of improving access to the tunnel for maintenance, and reducing the POP in favour of more public park space (which costs Oxford some land, nominally, but also cuts their operating cost.

Last edited:
It is a lot to take in. I guess City Planning wanted to fight for a lot of green space here. I'm not sure what I think of the master plan yet as my impression of Yonge & Eglinton is not of a green space but as something akin to the Financial District and it is challenging to wrap my head around on first impression.

Like am I really going to spend time at this proposed green space? Yonge and Eglinton is cold, and incredibly windy and these towers and others proposed are going to contribute towards more wind. This space is going to be covered in shade by all these towers for large parts of the day. That L-shaped park on Duplex also seems like Parks Planning fighting for every possible scrap of green space rather than something well thought through too.

That residential courtyard is a suburban cul-de-sac by other names, and it looks weird to see one proposed immediately adjacent to an interchange of two subway lines, but maybe thats the only way to make these massive towers work in this configuration.

I'm underwhelmed by the amount of office space (edit: didn't see it was sqm not sqft. There is indeed considerable office in this plan, can anyone confirm whether its 1-to-1 replacement or greater?), and the disappearance of the hotel from the plans makes Yonge & Eglinton slightly less of a major centre. I know these are just massing models but I do worry about the architecture planned for these massive towers.

It's a lot to take in. Not really what I was expecting based on earlier proposals.

Yowza! Finally some Square One suburban thinking for Yonge & Eg… but not even! What is up with the giant cul-de-sac in the southern residential gated community portion? Sure, we can joke about anything north of Bloor, or if you really want to push the limits of civilization, the CPR corridor, being up in SUV cottage country, but that is where Oxford and Pelli Clarke Pelli seem to think this development is.

I cannot believe what I am seeing.

Cannot.

This isn't urban.

Last edited:
I agree it's a lot to take in. I concur with pretty' much everything @Northern Light mentioned about the open space. It looks like the designers were trying too hard. It's not a place I want to hang around plus all the stairs and ramps make it unwelcoming.

The central transit entrance is also underwhelming. I hope there will still be an entrance right at the intersection like there currently is. The Yonge-Eglinton Plaza should be a gathering space with more benches and less greenery and changes in elevation.

All that said, it's still very preliminary and I'm sure there will be lots of changes.

Back