Toronto 217 Adelaide West | 103.5m | 23s | Humbold Properties | Adamson

waterloowarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bousfields (planning consultant) is working with Humbold Properties on a rezoning application for 217 Adelaide according to the lobbyist registry. A meeting took place with Councillor Cressy earlier this week. This is right beside the 19 Duncan (219 Adelaide) redevelopment.

Bousfields (planning consultant) is working with Humbold Properties on a rezoning application for 217 Adelaide according to the lobbyist registry. A meeting took place with Councillor Cressy earlier this week. This is right beside the 19 Duncan (219 Adelaide) redevelopment.

I hope that future plans also include leveling the 5s parking structure @ (211 Adelaide St. W)

So there was a bit of a surprise public meeting on this on Monday evening at Metro Hall, with this project being presented before the two that were listed on Councillor Cressy's website (543 Richmond West and 170 Spadina). A bit of a mix-up that it wasn't announced far and wide.

Anyway, this is the surface parking lot directly east of the 57-storey Westbank/Allied proposal at 19 Duncan. It goes through to Pearl. The design is by Kirkor, and we will have images of it for you later today in a new dataBase entry and in a front page story, but I can tell you now that this is, for my money, Kirkor's most impressive building in years, which in my case means that this tops the Hullmark Centre. The design in this case is in a style that not everyone is a fan of: brutalism. There are some of you out there, and I certainly am a fan, and I believe that people are going to be pleasantly surprised by this building, and some will be quite excited.

For now I can tell you that the plans are for 56 storeys, then mixed in with the mechanical levels up top there will be a partial floor "skygarden". Not sure yet if we will count that floor as a 57th floor, but for the meantime until we see more explicit plans, no.

Heights are 563 feet/171.6m to the skygarden floor, and 587 feet/179 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse. The skygarden height is being put forward to the City as it's the top of the walls, with the mechanical roof being hidden behind it from most vantage points. The City will care about that height, while we will keep track of the mechanical penthouse roof height for our purposes as it is the top of the structure.

Last edited:
If it's brutalism done right it could be a great contrast for the area. Lots of exposed and properly treated concrete, I would hope

Without looking at much beyond these renderings, I think we can safely this is Kirkor's finest work. That podium could use more greenery. (A living wall? Ivy would be fine.)

I like it. I wouldn't want a whole city lined with buildings like that, but those clean blank walls on the podium will offer a little bit of visual respite, and the tower has an almost rhythmic feeling to it. If the materials and execution are good this could be a great addition to the area.

I love this proposal! It is so different from all,the green glass buldings that have gone up lately. It does remind me of the seventies a it but in a refreshing way.

I'd heard rumours Kirkor had some new concepts that would change the perception of the company and 217 Adelaide W may be the first.:) Neo Brut is a design trend I'm looking forward to!

Great concept however, the only part I worry about is the details: will Kirkor continue to use their typical supply chain of dreary grey spandrel glass cladding etc? I do some signs of it on the podium....

Butterworth & Lee--sounds like a great name for a future architectural firm.

Overall, I like it.

Nice try Kirkor but absolutely No, please dont do this.

I dont mind the brutalism aspect at all, but the puzzle piece like stacking of rectangular boxes really detracts from the aesthetics of this project. If this had the curves of a project like Ice I think this would be 100 times better than this current proposal. Kirkor, dont let me put you into the list of bland architects that many people in this forum are already familiar with (ie: aA, Canderel, etc..)

You know Canderel aren't an architect firm, right?

Back