Toronto Kingside Residences | 34.5m | 10s | Altree | Kohn

ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
2151 KINGSTON RD
Ward 20: Scarborough Southwest

Development Applications

Development comprising of an 11-storey residential building.

1601100283501.png

This site is owned by Altree Developments.

Danforth and Kingston don't necessarily meet each other very well in terms of urban context, so apart from namesake the intersection isn't too significant. The northside is essentially inaccessible greenspace where the streets merge, and has never been too pedestrian friendly.

There's a couple condo projects to the east on Kingston Road in completed or under construction format. So some traction is starting to build in the Cliffside area, but for now it's still a bit raw.

I've really never gave it much thought but this is an intersection that could definitely be simplified like Six Points, along with incorporation of the Kingston BRT in-median towards Main Street along Danforth.

I don't know what the appetite is for removing some of that open space and greenery for development parcels though.

I've really never gave it much thought but this is an intersection that could definitely be simplified like Six Points, along with incorporation of the Kingston BRT in-median towards Main Street along Danforth.

I don't know what the appetite is for removing some of that open space and greenery for development parcels though.

From a report a few years ago: 2.7.1

Official Plan Recommendations

Recommendations for amendments to the Official Plan are as follows: The reconfiguration of the Danforth Avenue / Kingston Road grade separation will result in a potentially developable parcel of land. Should the reconfiguration of the intersection be implemented, the remaining parcel of land should be redesigned as a mixed use area.

From here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/sc/bgrd/backgroundfile-24628.pdf

1601213887846.png

1601214010897.png

Uh ......uh........uh.....

So much I could say..............but I will reduce it to................what the hell is with the first 2 floors?

The realignment serves no purpose, other than opening up park space for development. So many other plots along Kingston that would be far more worthy of redevelopment.

The city should be ashamed if they even consider this for more than a second.

The realignment serves no purpose, other than opening up park space for development. So many other plots along Kingston that would be far more worthy of redevelopment.

The city should be ashamed if they even consider this for more than a second.
The realignment will vastly improve the pedestrian and cycling experience in the area, and knit what's to the east and west of the interchange together: it will feel more like a cohesive area of town when it's done. It will also bring more useable parkland and more space for new housing. All of that's good, the only downside being that it'll add an extra 30 seconds to each driver's route through it every day. Small price to pay for an improved cityscape.

The building itself could use an architectural upgrade, sure, but I'd be surprised if it gets one.

Back