Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

Mrs. 67 and I fall into that 50 + crowd.

Sorry if I came off as an arrogant person. I was not trying to knock on the age of people at the meeting, just pointing out that the demographics of Humber Bay Shores are very different. This is an area filled with young people, the typical first home buyers living in the new condo developments in the area. I did not see that demographic represented at the meeting, unfortunately. The young people do not show up to vote, they don't show up to the community meetings. I wish they did, because their opinion, I believe, is very different. But hey, we can't force them to show up, can we?

Not to worry! You are quite right about the crowd. It certainly didn’t represent the demographic makeup of the community. In addition to age, by the way, it didn’t look to me as if it represented the ethnic and racial mix of the area either.

I know it is much easier for us to get out to a weekday evening at suppertime event than it was when we were feeding children, supervising homework etc. Why younger people without children were not there in any numbers would be interesting to speculate on. But anything I would have to say would be uninformed guesswork. Still, no blame to anyone of any age who ventured out on a cold night!

A further little note: I didn’t see Councillor Grimes there. Understandable under the legal circumstances, I suppose?

Waste of time - but the perogies were delicious.

Nothing new there, nothing ground breaking and no surprises.. This is what we've known for the better part of the last year.

What I was glad to hear were almost unanimous voices for the GO station - as in no community support for changing the land use unless the GO station is funded and contracts are signed.

the perogies were delicious
Indeed. Perogies were a nice touch, considering the event space was the Polish Hall. Nice homage there.

I didn’t see Councillor Grimes there. Understandable under the legal circumstances, I suppose?
What would be the legal circumstances? Wouldn't it be best if our City Councillor actually showed up to the community events and actually listened to his constituents' concerns? He may then actually represent his constituents for a change instead of imagining hypothetical "The People" and trying to guess what "The People" want to see at this site.

What would be the legal circumstances? Wouldn't it be best if our City Councillor actually showed up to the community events and actually listened to his constituents' concerns? He may then actually represent his constituents for a change instead of imagining hypothetical "The People" and trying to guess what "The People" want to see at this site.

He is charged by the OPP for "filing irregularities" around the 2014 municipal election.

AoD

I was there also, but like Full Metal, missed the presentation. The attendance was surprisingly good, IMO, but it certainly is true that it was an older group. I have to admit that Mrs. 67 and I fall into that 50 + crowd. It isn’t the seniors’ fault that a younger demographic didn’t show up but any report of the first part of the evening should indeed name the imbalance. Maybe a more representative crew will show up for the later session.

I was chiefly interested in the photo displays of other Allies and Morrison projects. To be honest, I was a little disappointed especially with the shots of a pair of infill projects in an English city I know and love. Looking for a positive, there was considerable use of brick in their projects. HBS could use either red or yellow brick structures, I think.

Allies and Morrison has done a spate of really incredible projects; if First Capital is genuine in their intent to build a first-class community, I would have no worries at all about A+M's ability to deliver on it.

Allies and Morrison has done a spate of really incredible projects; if First Capital is genuine in their intent to build a first-class community, I would have no worries at all about A+M's ability to deliver on it.

Yes, I had read great things about them. But it was not discernible in the photos and displays, hence my disappointment.

November 25th, 2018. They've covered up the piles with granular material and expanded the parking lot near Park Lawn.

KEZ_2595.jpg
KEZ_2596.jpg

"The initial business cases for new GO stations did not support a stop at Park Lawn due to its location near Mimico GO Station. However, the station could significantly improve transit for the growing Humber Bay Shores area and future employment or residential developments nearby. If this station proceeds, Metrolinx would split Lakeshore West service so that some trains would stop in Mimico only, while others would only serve Park Lawn.".......

This is the key point.....without process as of today?

"The initial business cases for new GO stations did not support a stop at Park Lawn due to its location near Mimico GO Station. However, the station could significantly improve transit for the growing Humber Bay Shores area and future employment or residential developments nearby. If this station proceeds, Metrolinx would split Lakeshore West service so that some trains would stop in Mimico only, while others would only serve Park Lawn.".......

This is the key point.....without process as of today?
That's a one year old story… and what has not changed in that time is that First Capital does not yet have a redevelopment plan proposed for the site yet. You can be assured that they will include a station in their planning, which I hope we'll see in not too many months' time, but I don't expect planning issues to be wrapped up quickly: no doubt it's still quite a while before there's a go-ahead on a GO station here.

Yeah, that's from a year ago. I still maintain Park Lawn will be a regular stop on the line. If we need to put on the facade and say service will be split between Mimico and Park Lawn to get it built, then so be it, but ridership numbers will show pretty quickly that it needs to be stop on all trains.

the good news is that they will no longer need an employment conversion through MCR.. provided the province's proposed changes to the growth plan go through. The planning process for this one is going to be about 3 years faster because of that.

the good news is that they will no longer need an employment conversion through MCR.. provided the province's proposed changes to the growth plan go through. The planning process for this one is going to be about 3 years faster because of that.
I want to see employment here though, and more than just retail. A new GO station/mini-TTC hub built as a PPP should have an office tower built over it. It doesn't need to be huge, but the station should be a multi-use development with a little of everything in it.

This area will definitely be redesignated as a Mixed Use Area, which will allow for employment.

I'd like to see an office tower here, it would definitely be appropriate from a city-building and master-planning a complete community perspective, but just like whenever we discuss office construction outside of the core, I wonder if the market would work for an office at this location?

Just speaking personally, but HBS is pretty inaccessible from Midtown. I would have trouble commuting to work here via the TTC. Recently, I visited one of the consulates in the area, and the 1-way trip from home was 1.5 hours (albeit with mid-day service frequency).

It will be difficult to get an office tower here of any substantial size given the rate you'd get in the area won't justify the cost. You're probably looking at $20-25 net given the lack of transit. Spectrum Square trades at $24 and it's a similar situation, though it's building on existing employment / office, rather than introducing it new. Maybe something about that size could work but it's part of a much larger complex (133,000sf of 1.3m sf total) so maybe not...

Back