Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

I drew up a diagram of what I think a nice layout for this area could be, including office, retail, a Park Lawn GO, and leaving space for the residential buildings that First Capital is probably salivating over planning:

serious.png

Just a couple straight streets to cut across the development, to blend in with existing development across Lake Shore Boulevard. I had also scribbled a joke map that turned this area into Malvern-style detached housing, but maybe it's for the best that my computer didn't cooperate for that one.

Been over in London for a few weeks now with a new job - and my flat is a stone's throw away from Kings Cross Station which A&M helped to master plan and I have to say even though they are still building it out - it's a terrific space. A great mix of office, retail, residential, heritage and open spaces built around the existing transport links - with lots of different materiality. There's a number of buildings there designed by architects who are currently or will be working in Toronto (Wilkinson Eyre and Heatherwick) .

If this turns out anything like that - it will be a big hit

20190728-091748.jpg

20190728-114458.jpg

20190728-112551.jpg

20190728-114138.jpg

20190728-114431.jpg

The area around King's Cross, and even St.Pancras is absolutely stunning; words cant even describe how great of a public realm was built there. If this area even turns out to be half of what King's Cross is we'd be in for a real treat.

Unfortunately, I dont feel like that's going to happen here. London puts an immense amount of focus on its public realm and streetscape. Toronto on the other hand, well just look and see for yourself. East Harbour would be our closest opportunity to create something even close, but even those plans pale in comparison to King's Cross.

Yes - but. From an architectural and a streetscape perspective, I agree, the area north of the Kings Cross station is great. From a personal and a social interactive perspective, in my opinion, the area can be a bit lacking. The various restaurants, pubs, residential areas are a bit spread out, and there does not seem to be a focal area where people can aggregate, socialize and move easily between the various venues. It may be that we have only been in this area as tourists during the daytime, and not as local residents, but while very attractive, the newly redeveloped area north of the Kings Cross station has struck me as being a bit on the soulless side.

JUST THE FACTS:

— Under the General Employment Areas and Regeneration Areas designations, approximately 1,054,800 square feet of non-residential land on the Mr. Christie's site will be permitted for some of the following uses: office space, retail space, high-tech industrial space, light manufacturing, service, hotel, business incubators, call centres, information services, restaurants, daycares, theatres, art galleries, creative industries, software development sites, data processing, medical offices, research spaces, corporate headquarters, non-retail financial services, private fitness centres, warehouses, showrooms, business and trade schools and financial institutions.

— Residential, live-work, or uses not included under the designations, can only be permitted once a major planning study is completed and the Park Lawn GO station is approved with funding secured through Metrolinx.

— On the site as a whole, heavy manufacturing and large-scale retail stores or "power centres" will not be permitted.

AoD

JUST THE FACTS:

— Under the General Employment Areas and Regeneration Areas designations, approximately 1,054,800 square feet of non-residential land on the Mr. Christie's site will be permitted for some of the following uses: office space, retail space, high-tech industrial space, light manufacturing, service, hotel, business incubators, call centres, information services, restaurants, daycares, theatres, art galleries, creative industries, software development sites, data processing, medical offices, research spaces, corporate headquarters, non-retail financial services, private fitness centres, warehouses, showrooms, business and trade schools and financial institutions.

— Residential, live-work, or uses not included under the designations, can only be permitted once a major planning study is completed and the Park Lawn GO station is approved with funding secured through Metrolinx.

— On the site as a whole, heavy manufacturing and large-scale retail stores or "power centres" will not be permitted.

AoD

In which category do elementary (and/or high schools) fall in? Maybe they are "workhouses"?

JUST THE FACTS:

AoD
I wonder if grocery stores are prohibited under the phrase "large-scale retail stores". Or does that mean department store? It would be a shame if no Loblaws came here: the area needs one.

I wonder if grocery stores are prohibited under the phrase "large-scale retail stores". Or does that mean department store? It would be a shame if no Loblaws came here: the area needs one.

Having not read the settlement, I can't be certain...............but I would suspect they are using the same definition as they did for 'big box' retailers............in this document.......

That would cap store size at 3500m2 or 37,600ft2.

That would easily accommodate most conventional supermarket formats; and leave oodles of leftover space for a FarmBoy, Urban Fresh or City Market format.

Back