Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

Does anyone have pictures of the interior ? My parents often mentioned going there.

I wish that the 2150 Lake Shore project schools' (plural) auditorium/cafeteria could be used as a dance/banquet hall (after COVID-19) on weekends. I can see problems with Ontario's over-regulated alcohol laws saying "NO!".

I wish that the 2150 Lake Shore project schools' (plural) auditorium/cafeteria could be used as a dance/banquet hall (after COVID-19) on weekends. I can see problems with Ontario's over-regulated alcohol laws saying "NO!".
Do you think mosques could be used as dance/banquet halls during weekends (which obviously excludes Fridays)? Islam's views on alcohol would say "NO!" as well.

Goodness...that arch, on that pier building. That's intense.

trl-1963-tspa_0000344f1.jpg

From link. The Palace Pier after being ravaged by fire in January 1963. Photo from the Toronto Star, Baldwin Collection, Toronto Public Library tspt 000344f.

1958-s0065_fl0047_id00111.jpg

Aerial view of the area surrounding the Palace Pier in 1958. The pier is in the bottom left-hand corner of the photo, on the west bank of the Humber River. The widened Lakeshore Road is to the north of the pier, the Gardiner Expressway to the north of it. Toronto Archives, S 0065, File 0047, Id. 0011.

The GO Station would be a placeholder too. From what we know, none of the buildings have more than a general massing model so far.

Hopefully, the roads shown are also only "placeholders". Should include streetcar right-of-ways (on the side within the project), raised bicycle lanes, and wide pedestrian walkways and sidewalks separated from the bicycles, automobiles, and streetcars with treed boulevards. No stop signs (yield signs and "shark's teeth"), but raised intersections and crossings.

I am not persuaded that the streetcar right of way needs to be separated from the pedestrian areas. I had the delightful experience of living for a number of months in a village near Montpellier, France, a lovely city which boasts a well used 58 km tramway. The trams are about the size of the double streetcars in the Toronto system. The Tram routes pass through the central plaza of the old city, the Place de la Comédie, or L’Oeuf, as it is better known. Nothing separates the pedestrian areas from the tram tracks in the plaza. There are a host of restaurants and cafes in La Place, with large patios, a carousel for the children and extensive open spaces. (They are not great restaurants, by the way, but the ambience is wonderful. For great eating look elsewhere in the city.) The trams pass through the area at the pace of a fast jog and pedestrians, even somewhat tipsy ones, seem to have no trouble avoiding them. I think the key may be that there is no vehicular traffic aside from necessary deliveries and services. Pedestrians and streetcars can coexist quite well, in my experience.

Humber Bay Shores will not feature the gorgeous mid rise stone buildings that surround L’Oeuf, nor the warm Mediterranean climate, but in my dreams I am sitting on the patio of a cafe in the newly developed Christie Lands, enjoying,say, a Blanquette de Veau, while both pedestrians and TTC streetcars pass through the plaza or whatever it is called.

Please excuse this blatant example of francophiliac nostalgia, but honestly, pedestrians and streetcars can easily coexist.

I am not persuaded that the streetcar right of way needs to be separated from the pedestrian areas. I had the delightful experience of living for a number of months in a village near Montpellier, France, a lovely city which boasts a well used 58 km tramway. The trams are about the size of the double streetcars in the Toronto system. The Tram routes pass through the central plaza of the old city, the Place de la Comédie, or L’Oeuf, as it is better known. Nothing separates the pedestrian areas from the tram tracks in the plaza. There are a host of restaurants and cafes in La Place, with large patios, a carousel for the children and extensive open spaces. (They are not great restaurants, by the way, but the ambience is wonderful. For great eating look elsewhere in the city.) The trams pass through the area at the pace of a fast jog and pedestrians, even somewhat tipsy ones, seem to have no trouble avoiding them. I think the key may be that there is no vehicular traffic aside from necessary deliveries and services. Pedestrians and streetcars can coexist quite well, in my experience.

Humber Bay Shores will not feature the gorgeous mid rise stone buildings that surround L’Oeuf, nor the warm Mediterranean climate, but in my dreams I am sitting on the patio of a cafe in the newly developed Christie Lands, enjoying,say, a Blanquette de Veau, while both pedestrians and TTC streetcars pass through the plaza or whatever it is called.

Please excuse this blatant example of francophiliac nostalgia, but honestly, pedestrians and streetcars can easily coexist.

As long as the automobile is not located near the streetcars and pedestrians. The automobiles should be directed to the underground garages, bypassing the plazas, and only allowing retail delivery trucks out of sight.

…and I've seen the same in a number of European countries too. Pedestrians and track-based street transit blend well there as pedestrians have grown up with it. They'll walk across the tracks as long as they gauge they can clear them before the tram — which typically will not slow down — reaches that spot. They don't walk along tracks with their backs to the direction the tram is coming from. I assume there are occasional accidents, but it must be very few the way that pedestrian and transit traffic normally flow together on those streets.

I wonder how long we'd take to get used to it here. I hope not forever. Traffic on King is slight enough now at times that it's become a street where people can cross more liberally than they were able to prior to the pilot. I'd love to see the stretch of Queen between Spadina and John go totally car-free sometime. It would be interesting to see how quickly transit could get through if pedestrians were no longer worrying about car traffic to weave through. To what degree would they be cognizant of getting out of the way of streetcars? (Many people would, some wouldn't. It takes a while to train some…)

This will be another place to test pedestrian and transit mix. People will cross the tracks here: will they do it carefully enough that transit doesn't normally have to crawl to avoid killing them?

As long as the said placeholders don't look better than what we'll end up with...

Oh, and quite often the placeholders do look better, but sometimes they don't: you simply cannot tell at this stage. This area has been really nicely rendered in this case, so we need to be on our guard to keep First Capital's feet to the fire in terms of the expectations they have created. Don't be afraid to let First Cap know that you want the quality represented in the placeholders here to be realized in the final products!

Site plan image, from above PDF.

1600180104225.png

Also from the PDF...

Additionally, both the Toronto District School Board and the Toronto Catholic District School Board have identified a preliminary need for school sites. Funding for new schools is a provincial responsibility. Conceptual locations for two new elementary schools has been provided for and shown on the draft Secondary Plan maps on Block 3. The space will be secured for the schools in Phase 3 of development. If the space is not occupied by schools by Phase 3, the space will be converted to another use.

Conceptual locations for future municipal emergency services, including Toronto Fire Services, Toronto Paramedic Services and Toronto Police Services, have been shown along Lake Shore Boulevard West on City-owned property. Capital funding will be required to support development of these uses. The draft Plan creates the opportunity for this to occur incrementally as the area develops over a number of years.

Back