Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

Plenty of people live near the Humber Sewage Treatment Plant - there's only very rarely an issue with it.

Meanwhile, if you want to talk more about the Food Terminal, you should take it to the Food Terminal thread. Thanks!

Want your guests to finally leave, open a window. 😄

Why not keep Food Terminal there and sell air rights to a big developer? Proximity to the new GO station would make if worthwhile and everyone would be happy.

That might happen yet. The value will increase significantly in 30 years when 2150 is built out and the GO station is well established.

but who would want to live with trucks coming and going at all hours practically inside their lobby?

Great vision, great style, great location, transit access, relief road, waterfront, ...this will be Toronto's 2nd downtown!
One that the city didnt even properly plan for, or anticipate. Pretty embarasing from an urban planning perspective.

One that the city didnt even properly plan for, or anticipate. Pretty embarasing from an urban planning perspective.

Most of the cities develop close to water. In my opinion, Toronto is a bit of an anomaly, artificially developing inland because of the Yonge line and restrictive urban planning. South Etobicoke and South Swansea have the lake, Humber river, Mimico Creek (not to mention High park) which are all good ingredients for growth. However, for a new downtown much more is needed. Without a subway line (go station is not enough for a downtown like community) and tall office buildings (which will not come without a subway line) growth will be limited.
I believe that the full potential of the community will not be achieved without a less restrictive urban planning along our waterfront (selling air rights above the Food Terminal and railway, allowing more density in the waterfront communities) and a good connection to the rest of the city. This is why I believe there should be a better multi-stop connection to Toronto's subway system. Whether it's a HBS-S. Kingsway, Jane LRT, or Ontario line extension. If we are talking about a new downtown, I don't think the future Waterfront lrt would be sufficient to bring potential employees to those future office towers. On the other hand, this community doesn't have to be a new downtown to be enjoyable and a nice place to live, and a better bus service from HBS to Jane station would ease some of the transit pain.

Most of the cities develop close to water. In my opinion, Toronto is a bit of an anomaly, artificially developing inland because of the Yonge line and restrictive urban planning. South Etobicoke and South Swansea have the lake, Humber river, Mimico Creek (not to mention High park) which are all good ingredients for growth. However, for a new downtown much more is needed. Without a subway line (go station is not enough for a downtown like community) and tall office buildings (which will not come without a subway line) growth will be limited.
I believe that the full potential of the community will not be achieved without a less restrictive urban planning along our waterfront (selling air rights above the Food Terminal and railway, allowing more density in the waterfront communities) and a good connection to the rest of the city. This is why I believe there should be a better multi-stop connection to Toronto's subway system. Whether it's a HBS-S. Kingsway, Jane LRT, or Ontario line extension. If we are talking about a new downtown, I don't think the future Waterfront lrt would be sufficient to bring potential employees to those future office towers. On the other hand, this community doesn't have to be a new downtown to be enjoyable and a nice place to live, and a better bus service from HBS to Jane station would ease some of the transit pain.
I've been letting this side-conversation continue without much comment yet (I try to stay away from transit fantasy scenarios myself—the actual plans are tricky enough to influence along their way to approval), and also in this case because there's not much concrete news regarding this proposal yet. Some speculation about future transit down here does not seem out of place in this thread…

…but if you guys really want to take up the topic of transportation in this area, you should take it to our various related Transportation Forum threads. That's where you'll find more serious discussion about serving this area.

I'd prefer that in this thread we stuck to talk of actual transportation plans for this site or localized tweaks that can be made to smooth things out in the area. Changing up some bus routing to better serve the area feels appropriate, for example, along with the GO station, Waterfront West LRT, and the Lake Shore/Queen streetcars. But if you want to speculate about extending a subway line here, or an LRT south from Jane station—all the things that are not being planned—then please find an appropriate thread in the Transportation Forum.

Thanks!

Don't think this rendering was seen before. Found it hiding on First Capital's investor relations webpage. Good view of the site and the GO Station.

1596388006613.png

Back