Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

I think there might be just enough space here to turn the area into a proper urban node, but only if the City is very strict on zoning. Does anyone here think that will happen? Or will it be residential towers with minimal mixed-use at the base?

Most likely tall residential towers with retail to the south bordering the north side of Lake Shore, and a bunch of big box stores sandwiched in between to make up for the designated lands

I think there might be just enough space here to turn the area into a proper urban node, but only if the City is very strict on zoning. Does anyone here think that will happen? Or will it be residential towers with minimal mixed-use at the base?

Most likely tall residential towers with retail to the south bordering the north side of Lake Shore, and a bunch of big box stores sandwiched in between to make up for the designated lands

Ideally, these lands should also house a school or two, a transit hub and some office space. I'm hopeful that with rapidly increasing density, HBS will have a strong political pull with all levels of government, which might help develop this land sensibly.

If no school or school get built, expect the new students not to be able to use the nearest schools.

See link.

Toronto students turned away from neighbourhood schools

With the start of a new school year approaching, Toronto parents could have to relocate their children to a different school, outside of their neighbourhood, if their local schools are full.

The Toronto District School Board has posted warning signs at construction sites saying children moving into newly developed areas may not be allowed to attend their local school because of enrollment pressures.

Over 100 warning signs were posted by the TDSB in 2015 that read:

The Toronto District School Board makes every effort to accommodate students at local schools. However, due to residential growth, sufficient accommodation may not be available for all students. Students may be accommodated in schools outside this area until space in local schools becomes available.

Madison Onaroto, 16, and her family moved from Florida to Leslieville this summer and when her mother, Tina, called TDSB she was told that her home school was Riverdale Collegiate Institute, which was located just one kilometre from their home.

But when Tina went to register her daughter, she was told she wouldn’t be able to attend because it was a closed school, meaning she would have had to enrol back in Grade 9.

“I was shocked,” Tina said.

TDSB spokesperson Zoya McGroarty says the board currently has restrictions on Riverdale to help keep enrollment in check and ensure the school has sufficient space. Only students who attended an area school for Grade 8 can enter into Grade 9 at Riverdale.

“Students who move into the area and apply for admission to the school in Grades 10 to 12 are not allowed in,” McGroarty said.

McGroarty adds students will still have a ‘home school’ assigned to them, such as Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute, located less than two kilometres away.

“For us it worked out well because we found a good alternative school not far away, but people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars extra [on housing] to be in the ‘right school district’ and there’s no warning that they won’t be allowed in,” Tina said.

“The real estate agent didn’t tell us, there was no warning on the website and the TDSB person I spoke to didn’t seem to be aware either.”

Riverdale Collegiate Institute is the only Toronto school currently operating this way.

McGroarty said that Earl Haig Secondary School also has enrollment restrictions but they are not the same as Riverdale.

Here's what this property looks like from the top of Lago, just across the street:

DSC07091.jpg
DSC07092.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07091.jpg
    DSC07091.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 809
  • DSC07092.jpg
    DSC07092.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 772
It would be nice, yes, but difficult as the centre doesn't connect with the north side of the Gardiner (or even the Lakeshore West line). There are properties in between (partly the Ontario Food Terminal and partly a Hydro ROW) which would need to be taken into account. What's more, the centre is further east than the bakery lands so it wouldn't just be a northbound connection.

Mondelez.JPG

Attachments

• Mondelez.JPG
    Mondelez.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 687
It would be nice, yes, but difficult as the centre doesn't connect with the north side of the Gardiner (or even the Lakeshore West line). There are properties in between (partly the Ontario Food Terminal and partly a Hydro ROW) which would need to be taken into account. What's more, the centre is further east than the bakery lands so it wouldn't just be a northbound connection.

View attachment 89567

Best place to do it - put a new GO RER Station underneath the Gardiner and reroute 501 to connect to it.

AoD

View attachment 89567

Not just for the Kraft Bakery site, but for the rest of the condos to the east up to Palace Pier as well, would like to have a "short cut" for pedestrians and bicyclists on the west side of the Humber River to the shopping center.

Not just for the Kraft Bakery site, but for the rest of the condos to the east up to Palace Pier as well, would like to have a "short cut" for pedestrians and bicyclists on the west side of the Humber River to the shopping center.

The Kraft Bakery site has the Metro on Park Lawn right next door to it. Plus the retail that will be added when this site is redeveloped.

Palace Pier can go under the Gardiner at the Humber Loop. A 10 minute walk. The Metro is also only a 15 minute walk from Palace Pier. I'd love to have 2 grocery stores that close...and I live on Bloor.

Am I missing something?

Has anyone heard anything about this at all? Are we looking at a few years before we see any plans due to re-zoning, demolition, etc?

I saw this posted a couple days ago to a facebook group for the area. Sounds like it might be a little while yet before any development plans surface, but demolition should start soon.

I personally would like to see a junior school... major transit upgrades such as a new streetcar/LRT loop... significant office space (to turn humber bay shores into a functional live/work complete community) and a european-style public square with cafes and restaurants and other retail. Please no big box stores - this is Toronto not Barrie. The site is huge, so there is potential for this to be great.

We have received the following message from the owners of the former Mr Christie lands... this is all we know at the moment and when we learn more we will let you know...

"Dear Mr. Schwarz and Mr. Pett,

We are the owners of the former Mr. Christie’s property at Lakeshore and Park Lawn.

At this time, the future of this property is unknown as there is no process in place for considering any future redevelopment plans except for an outstanding OMB Appeal we assumed when we purchased the property. Once a path forward is identified, I am sure that it will involve extensive public consultations and that it will be broadly communicated to the community.

Until then, the real reason for writing you today is simply to advise that you are likely to see increased activity on the property as preparations are made to demolish the warehouse.

In the interim, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Jodi Shpigel

Jodi Shpigel
Senior Vice President, Development
First Capital Realty Inc."

Back