Toronto ToyBx Industrial Condominium | ?m | 4s | ToyBx

Something disturbing about a "condo" for exotic cars when we are in an affordable housing crisis.
To be fair, we'd never see a residential development of any kind happen on this site. But make no mistake, I firmly believe this proposal is still a waste of prime land.

even building condos will not solve anything if they sell them for +$1200/sqft , making a 3 bedroom condo for a family go for over +$1 million
and anyone who buys a condo for $1200/sqft will not resell it for less but just hold it long term

Last edited:
Last edited:
I find the whole booming self-storage trend comical. The whole reason why we're seeing the increased popularity is because developers are shrinking unit sizes/building storage space in order to increase the # of units available in buildings. Sure the # of units are increased on the one hand, but this leads to reduced land available to build anything (including residential builds).

Ironically, this is leading to more scarce land being used to build self-storage buildings to accommodate people's storage needs. Isnt this counterintuitive? Especially when developers are crying "oh we need to open up the greenbelt and allow more land to be developed". Sure a lot of self-storage buildings are built in industrial areas such as this, but others are built right around residential areas.

I respect different points of view, but my stance still remains on this one. We have a scarce resource in this city (land) which I believe could be used more optimally for uses that are far more important than permanently storing cars for a limited amount of people. Heck, even a parking garage would be of more use as it would allow for a larger share of people to share temporary car storage throughout the day. Take in point, Humber College wants to build a huge parking lot for their students (which I also believe is a waste of land) close to this area on Birmingham. Instead of using that huge swath of land, that use could be consolodated on a smaller footprint and would be used by various students/staff:

View attachment 351018

Humber proposal in blue arrow, Car Condo storage proposal in red:
View attachment 351019
When I took photos of the Birmingham Hydro substation last weekend, I was wondering what the completed parking lot in front of the Canpar facility was for. At first I thought it was parking for the Canpar employees. It makes more sense now that I can see a shuttle bus stop in the top left of the lot.
DJI_0899.JPG

I'm not sure why everyone assumes that these building will be used solely for people with exotic cars. They'll be expensive at first, so that will be the early perception. People are going to buy multiple cars. Especially families with teenagers. If units like these open up more spots for families to store their cars, good! It's better to have people store their extra cars in these units rather than leave them on the side of the road, parked on bike paths, hindering truck/ bus traffic, or impeding snow plows.

They can build these in the run down, industrial zones where all the grimey, "chop shops" inhabit.

Why not treat these as some kind of industrial condo? Build some kind of automotive, retail at ground level (mechanic, body shop) and have all the car storage up top?

Last edited:
No one is going to be putting their everyday cars here, especially not their teenager's car. "Dad, I wanna go out with Sureka! Can you drive me to the car condo so I can get my car?" "Sure Yancy, we can do that right after I drop your sister at hockey then go get the groceries." "But Dad that'll take two hours, our evening will be ruined!" "Exactly, and that's why I'm never doing anything as idiotic as buying a car condo for some vehicle we'd want access to on a daily basis. Our lives would become untenable!"

People still buying multiple cars just to have cars are living in some past age where the world wasn't obviously heading into a climate crisis. Pretending that you can still do that in good conscience is just that, pretending. While it won't work for every trip, transit and active transportation whenever possible is the way of the future, and that will means we're seeing a move to one-car and no-car families that belong to a car-share agency. Buildings like this only perpetuate the mass consumption cravings of those who refuse to connect to the new reality.

from PDF file ToyBx sends you after you register , fall 2021 launch , curious about the price per square foot for units of 563 sqft , might also be good investment for future
Screenshot_20211101-154418.png

20211101_154613.png

Screenshot_20211101-154349.png

Last edited:
When I took photos of the Birmingham Hydro substation last weekend, I was wondering what the completed parking lot in front of the Canpar facility was for. At first I thought it was parking for the Canpar employees. It makes more sense now that I can see a shuttle bus stop in the top left of the lot.
View attachment 359328
Wow so this waste of space was actually built out already? Humber sure knows how to underuitilize their Lakeshore campus, this is a clear cheapout as they couldve located the parking under their new residence but yet the city allowed for them to waste employment land.

I dont know what the bigger waste of space is, this car condo garage or Humber's new parking lot.

Back