Toronto 8 Temple | 52.12m | 15s | Curated Properties | RAW Design

Event Information: 2-24 Temple Avenue: Community Consultation Meeting

Date and time:Wednesday, April 28, 2021 6:00 pm
Eastern Daylight Time (Toronto, GMT-04:00)
Change time zone
Duration:1 hour 30 minutes
Description:
Proposed Zoning Bylaw Amendment to allow a new 16-storey residential building with 273 dwelling units.

2-24 Temple Avenue - Zoning Amendment and Rental Housing Demolition Applications - Preliminary Report

Summary
This report provides information and identifies a preliminary set of issues regarding the application for the property located at 2-24 Temple Avenue. The proposed development is a 16-storey residential building with 273 dwelling units.

The site is currently occupied by 5 detached houses and 4 semi-detached houses, which are proposed to be demolished to accommodate the proposed development. The existing houses contain 22 rental housing dwelling units and 5 dwelling rooms, comprising 5 dwelling rooms with affordable rents, 14 units with affordable rents, 3 units with mid-range rents, and 5 units with high-end units.

Staff are currently reviewing the application. It has been circulated to all appropriate agencies and City divisions for comment. Staff will proceed to schedule a community consultation meeting for the application with the Ward Councillor.​

New rendering updated it! Taken from the most recent architectural plan via site plan approval:

PLN - Architectural Plans - AUG 27  2021-1.jpg

Last edited:
Update from Perks:

Update on the 2-24 Temple Avenue development application

I am writing to update you on the 2-24 Temple Avenue development application. This application proposes to amend the Zoning By-law to allow a 16-storey residential building with 273 dwelling units.

The site is currently occupied by 5 detached houses and 4 semi-detached houses, which are proposed to be demolished to accommodate the proposed development. The existing houses contain 22 rental housing dwelling units and 5 dwelling rooms, comprising 5 dwelling rooms with affordable rents, 14 units with affordable rents, 3 units with mid-range rents, and 5 units with high-end rents.

The application was submitted to the City in January 2021. City Planning staff responded with a Preliminary report in April 2021 http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.TE24.26 and a Virtual Community Consultation Meeting.

In September, 2021 the applicant filed an appeal to the Ontario Land Tribunal.

The Ontario Land Tribunal will be holding a Case Management Conference (CMC) to begin the process of the appeal. The CMC is scheduled for 9:30 AM on Tuesday, February 15th at 10AM.

The purpose of the Case Management conference is to identify parties and participants, provide procedural directions, and to potentially fix a date and place for the hearing and estimate its length.

The attached OLT Notice below details the requirements for those who wish to participate in the Case Management conference. Further it details the process to view the Case Conference.

A City Solicitor will attend the conference to advise that City Planning staff will be preparing a Request for Directions report for City Council in the near future. The Direction Report will be based on an evaluation of the application by City Planning staff including the input previously received from commenting divisions and agencies, the community virtual community meeting, as well as communications by email and phone.

If you are interested in attending the OLT Conference but have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact my office for assistance councillor_perks@toronto.ca.

My office will continue to update the community as new information becomes available.

Request for Direction Report seeking to oppose this one at OLT, coming to the next TEYCC meeting:

Staff are hard on this one...........moreso than I would have thought. The long and short is 'over development' of the site and insufficient transition.

1655556375933.png

1655556403754.png

1655556426578.png

I did express concern about the trees on the Temple frontage, and I see staff share that concern.

I'm personally fine w/the 'gist' of this development and the height, but I agree that the mature trees would be injured if the building came as close to them a proposed.

The new rendering is updated it. The overall height changed from 59.45m to 53.10m. Overall, the storey count changed from 16 storeys to 14 storeys. The total unit count changed from 275 units to 268 units. Finally, the entire parking space count decreased from 95 parking to 88 parking.

Renderings are taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning submission:

PLN - Architectural Plans - OCT 21  2022-1.jpg

The new rendering is updated it. The overall height changed from 59.45m to 53.10m. Overall, the storey count changed from 16 storeys to 14 storeys. The total unit count changed from 275 units to 268 units. Finally, the entire parking space count decreased from 95 parking to 88 parking.

Renderings are taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning submission:

View attachment 436618

We now know that the revised drawing above were submitted to the City as part of a settlement offer for LPAT.

The resulting report is heading to next week's Council meeting.

The actual recommendations are confidential, however, based on the way the LPAT case was handled (hearing converted to Case Management Conference), the very flattering language used in the Settlement offer letter towards City staff, I would strongly suspect this is being endorsed.

The report is here:

The Settlement Offer is here:

From the above:

1670596860095.png

1670596883484.png

The tree preservation plan is encouraging. As you can see in the photos above, there are some beautiful mature trees right at the edge of the property, possibly along the city's right of way, which aren't growing where the proposed building is supposed to go. They should be preserved and protected, and that appears to be the plan.

The tree preservation plan is encouraging. As you can see in the photos above, there are some beautiful mature trees right at the edge of the property, possibly along the city's right of way, which aren't growing where the proposed building is supposed to go. They should be preserved and protected, and that appears to be the plan.

As I noted in this post, previously, I was pleased to see the idea of preserving these trees in the plans, but was concerned the building was just too close to them to make it work.

I pushed for the idea that the building needed to be just 1M further north (away from the trees) to make it work.

The settlement does exactly that!

Back