Toronto The Yards | 113.11m | 33s | TAS | Giannone Petricone

From RENX:

TAS provides updates on its Toronto developments

TAS’ most notable proposed development is a five-acre site it purchased in 2016 at 2 Tecumseth Ave. in the western part of Toronto’s downtown. The site formerly housed the Quality Meat Packers slaughterhouse.

The company presented a plan last year for a mixed-use development with a blend of commercial, residential rental and condos, office space, and a large amount of indoor and outdoor public space.

“TAS has been working closely with the City of Toronto over the past several months to refine the development proposal,” said Mortazavi. “We will host a community meeting in early April to present the revised proposal and obtain valuable feedback from homeowners and local businesses.

“Our work is rooted in collaboration and open communication to ensure information is easily accessible and disruption is minimized.”

There was a community meeting on this project yesterday where apparently a revised design was shown. Is anyone able to share the update?

There's some pretty substantial changes there. Looking foward to something more detailed than that styrofoam model, but it appears to loom over the Niagara Street homes more now.

Maybe the looming will undermine the property value of those home owners enough that it will create some more affordable space for the people, organizations and communities forced out of the Coffin Factory building down the street...

One could dream, but the houses would probably still be absurdly expensive and the owners will get more say in their neighbourhood's development than renters ever do, so I don't feel too bad about it. But I do agree the looming does seem aggressive. Odd to see massing become more imposing on revision rather than less. I hope the materiality of the project is still good and it's thoughtfully done at ground level.

Materials are now online detailing the proposed settlement offer.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 3.25.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 3.25.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 3.26.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 3.26.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 3.26.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 3.27.04 PM.png

- 38-storey tower reduced to 30 storeys and now includes a "boomerang" podium.
- 13-storey cube building now an eight-storey office building with a 24-storey residential tower.
- Building three reduced to seven storeys from 15 storeys; now commercial instead of residential.
- Building six removed to support views from Garrison Common, Garrison Bridge and Fort York.
- Parkland dedication adjacent to building three.
- Four-metre-wide continuous bike path along southern boundary.
- 10 percent affordable residential, office and retail as part of Section 37 contribution.

Amazing settlement offer here. And now just imagine what the "settlement" could have been under Doug's new OMB that will be descending on us in the very near future; i'm not so sure we'd see this great podium, or bike path, or the removal of building 6, and most definitely not the 10% affordable residential portion.

Are they still doing the rooftop urban farm on top of the office building? I doubt it, but it was a fun idea.

Amazing settlement offer here. And now just imagine what the "settlement" could have been under Doug's new OMB that will be descending on us in the very near future; i'm not so sure we'd see this great podium, or bike path, or the removal of building 6, and most definitely not the 10% affordable residential portion.
The bike path is in the OP. The 10% affordable residential portion is from S.37.

I don't think the OMB would have affected the above two things. As for the removal of building 6, we saw many large developments be reduced in scope and magnitude under the old OMB rules.

Back