Toronto The Yards | 113.11m | 33s | TAS | Giannone Petricone

I guess people are excited about architecture here but the proposal is really just adding a lot density to such a confined site. It's essentially planned like a neo-tower-in-the-park - a large-sized property only fronting a small dead end street, I don't know how it's expected to retain vibrancy. It's too much an isolated pocket.

Haha, obviously you don't live down there
Yup, with connections to Wellington Street, this will have no trouble with connections for vehicles. With connections to the West Toronto Railpath extension which is coming to the area, it will be well within reach of tens of thousands of active-transport-powered hipsters and non-hipsters alike. With the modal switch that's under way now, I'm not worried about the density here: this is walking/cycling distance to everything.

A steady node is forming here, combining this with the adjacent West condos and the nearby 90 Niagara project. Having spent time this past summer in the area, I can say that there's a relatively decent amount of pedestrian traffic already even along the side streets. With the future added density, more retail and functional usage can gradually be supported among this development.

I guess people are excited about architecture here but the proposal is really just adding a lot density to such a confined site. It's essentially planned like a neo-tower-in-the-park - a large-sized property only fronting a small dead end street, I don't know how it's expected to retain vibrancy. It's too much an isolated pocket.

Have you actually looked at the plans for the site?

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, if this tower is kept as currently rendered it will have a very bold impact on the city’s built form especially for those entering from the gardiner east bound. Good height, bold colour, will stand out for sure.

It's one thing to displace industrial activities but where are new works yards to be located? Nice for the developer who can give their customers a more pleasant vista but the roads still need to be salted etc.

Does anyone know when this (fantastic) project is set to begin? Or... at least hopefully predicted to begin.

What a great looking project for the area. I'm not sure how I missed this one.

This blog hardly gets shown but the tall structure is pretty unique for this city. I would have loved to have seen two twin towers instead of one in the rendering !

Junior birdman angle:

DSC06979.jpg
DSC06985.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06979.jpg
    DSC06979.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 768
  • DSC06985.jpg
    DSC06985.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 766

Back