Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

That would involve stores being arsed to offer enough incentive to keep staff so that they have enough eyes on secondary entrances. I mean, c'mon, they've all spent so much money trimming staffing down to bare minimums for what? To turn around and have to spend a few percentage points of potential profit hiring people back? That's ridiculous.

Yes, I'm being facetious here. It's insane how unwilling stores are to budge on wages while simultaneously complaining nobody wants to work anymore (while we have near-record low unemployment rates)
I agree, but have an even more unlikely dream - that they cut the stores in half, so that one faces out & one faces in. No secondary entrances, just two smaller stores for every one larger one now.

An example of the finished (almost) product, looking better than renderings. Bravo. Bit by bit, CF needs to continue opening retail units to the street where ever possible north of here, even if it's just windows and glass exits. Same with the former Eaton's store, and The Bay building at Yonge & Bloor.

An example of the finished (almost) product, looking better than renderings. Bravo. Bit by bit, CF needs to continue opening retail units to the street where ever possible north of here, even if it's just windows and glass exits. Same with the former Eaton's store, and The Bay building at Yonge & Bloor.
If I recalled, some of the retail had doors on Yonge St but were causing issues with the lack of staff and theft that they were blocked off with today look.

Even though there is a lot of foot traffic on Yonge, will it be enough to draw buyers into those stores compared to the higher flow in the mall itself??

A I prefer to replicate store fronts in place of what there even though there may be no access to the store in the first place,

The building face has turned out a lot better than I hoped and it shows how badly we hid existing faces of old buildings or replace them with cookie cutter fronts.

What most people don't know, the whole interior was removed and replaced with modern steel framing that took a lot longer to do than planned. It will be interesting to see what the inside looks like when it open

The building at its absolute rock bottom, from the Toronto Star 1986:

94881759_1597229193776457_6080788305102766080_n.jpg

Great shot. Perfectly illustrates that above the stupid Potemkin Village garbage, the original parking structure remains largely intact:
The east (Yonge) facade of the Eaton Centre has long been incorrectly maligned as 'dead'. Previously it was setback, had all sorts of excellent high-tech detailing, stairs, balconies, bridges, retail frontages, etc. Cad Fairview gets way too much of a pass for its 1990s erasure and leasable-footprint-increasing along that frontage. In the name of 'storefronts' (which retailers do not have to keep open and are often locked), we lost all of that for some crappy, clipped on, Potemkin Village garbage.

It's worth going up to the parking garage levels and looking over. It's all still there above the mall levels. You can kind of see it in Google, but it's definitely worth checking out in person:

View attachment 513419

View attachment 513413

View attachment 513414View attachment 513415View attachment 513416

View attachment 513417View attachment 513418

When I checked the City of Toronto road restrictions or closures website there will be a planned overnight road closure between 10:00pm - 5:00am which is started last night and through Jan 22 for a Tower Crane Removal finally after 5 years of building an addition levels from the top of Eaton Centre parking garage.

...kinda wish it was removing the said Potemkin Village along with it.

Back