Toronto 2 East Mall Crescent | 112.5m | 33s | Mattamy Homes | Giannone Petricone

ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
2 EAST MALL CRES
Ward 03 - Etob. York District

Development Applications

The application proposes two mixed use buildings, a 27-storey tower and a 6-storey mid-rise building atop a connected base building. Retail and amenity space are provided at grade, with residential uses above. The highest building heights are concentrated at the south-west corner of the Property and decreases in height to the north along The East Mall and to the east along Dundas Street West. The buildings of the Proposed Development are comprised of approximately 450 residential units, 35,500 square metres of residential gross floor area and 200 square metres of retail gross floor area. The application is associated with 250 The East Mall (20 169050 WET).

Site context:

1596560977884.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuadReal Property Group + Giannone Petricone Associates: 27 storeys (98.50 metres including MPH)

1596561282056.png

1596561370085.png

Site plan:

1596561208732.png

1596561554921.png

This is moving quickly.

Question here; I thought gas station sites usually require years for the soil to settle before it could be remediated for development? Thus the reason why we usually see former gas station sites take forever to be redeveloped.

In this case here they are looking to redevelop it right away without any settling, can anyone explain why/how this is possible?

This is moving quickly.

Question here; I thought gas station sites usually require years for the soil to settle before it could be remediated for development? Thus the reason why we usually see former gas station sites take forever to be redeveloped.

In this case here they are looking to redevelop it right away without any settling, can anyone explain why/how this is possible?
For something this size, with a parking garage below all of it, I assume that they'll be bioremediating before removing all of that earth.

For something this size, with a parking garage below all of it, I assume that they'll be bioremediating before removing all of that earth.

I assume bioremediation is very expensive, which is why we dont see more of it happening so early on gas station sites?

I believe that's an old zoning and SPA approved retail development from about 10 years ago that never went forward. As ProjectEnd has shown above, they are now converting the existing structure into a Tesla dealer.

The massing is disappointing for missing the opportunity for a flatiron profile at Dundas Street West and the East Mall Crescent. Also, instead of creating a street wall along the East Mall Crescent, it leaves a disappointing gap for landscaping and a large driveway. That side resembles more of a tower in the park-type development than something that will help create street life and vitality.

The massing is disappointing for missing the opportunity for a flatiron profile at Dundas Street West and the East Mall Crescent. Also, instead of creating a street wall along the East Mall Crescent, it leaves a disappointing gap for landscaping and a large driveway. That side resembles more of a tower in the park-type development than something that will help create street life and vitality.
To be honest, East Mall Crescent isnt really a popular pedestrian area as it currently stands, so any retail along there wouldnt do well.

However, if there was a big box type store that fronted Dundas I could see that being pretty popular as it's right in front of a major bus stop which serves multiple routes.

To be honest, East Mall Crescent isnt really a popular pedestrian area as it currently stands, so any retail along there wouldnt do well.

With all the new density coming to Dundas between Kipling station and the 427, you'd think there'd be a vision to urbanize and transform the area into something more mixed-use, vibrant, and interesting than the dead and empty sidewalks of the East Mall and the West Mall. I've always marvelled at how those two streets are lined with so much density yet are so dull and lacking in vitality. It comes down to single-use zoning and towers-in-the-park massing.

This area could be a vibrant and pedestrian-friendly neighbourhood, both on Dundas and the East Mall Crescent. There could also be street parking and/or underground parking to help the retailers out in the early stages of the transformation. This development represents a great opportunity to improve the area for the better. Hopefully, they won't squander the opportunity with pointless green space, poor relationships with the surrounding streets, oversized driveways, and surface parking areas. One day, the subway could also be extended here.

Last edited:

Back