Toronto 2 Carlton | 251.1m | 73s | Northam | IBI Group

I have to believe there is an element of non-disposable buildings that comes into play. This is not a big box store that has no use beyond the whims of it's current tenant, it's a building that has memories, connective tissue (to many of us) and a representation of a time. I know it's too much to imagine it lovingly updated or restored, just it would be shame to see it go.

I appreciate the thought.

I mean no disrespect in saying I vividly remember shag rugs........that doesn't make me want to see them back in style.

I am genuinely curious to know what (if anything) you see in the building beyond an association w/time and place?

I was commenting on the general tone of your post. I got it wrong. That's the risk.

This is a decent modernist tower which predates 1960 making it one of the first. That alone makes it worthy of preservation. I'll speculate, one again, that cramming two 72 storey towers on this small site is probably not going to yield exceptional architecture. There's simply not enough room. I don't take this proposal too seriously either. I posted the link from the owner's legal representative and it's quite clear they are pushing this through as they won't be able too once the new rules on tower spacing setbacks, etc. are fully implemented.

I actually quite like this building. Would love to see it restored, the H&M billboards removed, with the clock replaced. Love the clean lines, the balcony pattern, the awnings over the sidewalk.

Now, anyone think that this mural might still be there, underneath the new(ish) cladding? Or am simply being naive?

Carlton.png

Attachments

• Carlton.png
    Carlton.png
    877.2 KB · Views: 1,602
I was commenting on the general tone of your post. I got it wrong. That's the risk.

This is a decent modernist tower which predates 1960 making it one of the first. That alone makes it worthy of preservation. I'll speculate, one again, that cramming two 72 storey towers on this small site is probably not going to yield exceptional architecture. I don't take this proposal too seriously either. I posted the link from the owner's legal representative and it's quite clear they are pushing this through as they won't be able too once the new rules on tower spacing setbacks, etc. are fully implemented.

I have no interest in replacing the building for the sake of doing so.

If the proposal were crap, it should be thumbed down.

(were that practical).

I suppose there's merit in preserving examples of stuff; even if they may not be universally appreciated.

That aside though, what makes it interesting and/or attractive to you?

(further note, I wouldn't cry if every single example of Brutalism (of which I'm aware) were erased.

[...]

(further note, I wouldn't cry if every single example of Brutalism (of which I'm aware) were erased.

Not my favourite style/era either, depending on how one defines brutalism. But even brutalism has its brilliant examples (e.g. the Geisel Library in California). I've even come around to quite liking Fort Book at UofT. As a city, I think we are richer when we have examples of every era in our downtown.

I have no interest in replacing the building for the sake of doing so.

If the proposal were crap, it should be thumbed down.

(were that practical).

I suppose there's merit in preserving examples of stuff; even if they may not be universally appreciated.

That aside though, what makes it interesting and/or attractive to you?

Thing is though, precious few buildings are universally appreciated. Were that the gold standard around the world, very little would ever get built. We'd have to first agree to establish what qualities would give a building that status. Based on how things get chopped, praised, dissed and dissected here at UT, I'm guessing that would be a near-impossible achievement.

Makes me wonder though what kind of reaction from the locals something like ICE or Aura will get in five or six decades' time. Few if any styles have real longevity.

I actually quite like this building. Would love to see it restored, the H&M billboards removed, with the clock replaced. Love the clean lines, the balcony pattern, the awnings over the sidewalk.

Now, anyone think that this mural might still be there, underneath the new(ish) cladding? Or am simply being naive?

View attachment 87896

Thank you! I appreciate the articulation of what you like about the building.

The mural actually does look interesting.

The 'awning'......is not something I'd paid heed to before. Looking at it now.......I don't know........

Thing is though, precious few buildings are universally appreciated. Were that the gold standard around the world, very little would ever get built. We'd have to first agree to establish what qualities would give a building that status. Based on how things get chopped, praised, dissed and dissected here at UT, I'm guessing that would be a near-impossible achievement.

Makes me wonder though what kind of reaction from the locals something like ICE or Aura will get in five or six decades' time. Few if any styles have real longevity.

I wasn't suggesting that universal appreciation be the standard for construction! LOL

But you can't save everything either.

And I can already tell you I won't miss Aura if its time is up in my lifetime.

ICE has a bit more to redeem it............

Not my favourite style/era either, depending on how one defines brutalism. But even brutalism has its brilliant examples (e.g. the Geisel Library in California). I've even come around to quite liking Fort Book at UofT. As a city, I think we are richer when we have examples of every era in our downtown.

Ok, one Brutalist building is worth saving after all! Credit to @Skeezix for pointing that out! :)

As for Ft. Book. I spent many years on that campus, and they didn't soften my opinion of it any.

The only thing uglier than its outside, is its inside. The stacks floors are irredeemable.

Back