Toronto 2 Carlton | 251.1m | 73s | Northam | IBI Group

It's really nice to see both renderings guys thanks! I really think this building is going to turn out great. By just looking at the colours and details of the rendering in the drawings on the previous page for starters.

Last edited:
0.1 acres ... is not really a usable green space.

20m x 20m is enough for a patch of grass for dogs, a few trees, a couple benches, and a water fountain. Milner Parkette (Church and Asquith) is well used and about that size.

This park is under 0.06acres; just enough for pedestrians to get around the TTC entrance and streetcar shelter that takes up a huge chunk of space at a busy intesection.

Last edited:
20m x 20m is enough for a patch of grass for dogs, a few trees, a couple benches, and a water fountain. Not the worst thing for that busy intersection. Milner Parkette (Church and Asquith) is well used and about that size.

This park is under 0.06acres; just enough for pedestrians to get around the TTC entrance that takes up half the sidewalk.

The TTC entrance should be enclosed within any new development on this corner.

That's a better solution to that problem.

In the immediate area, I would rather see this lot on Wood Street, used as public parking, and too close to an adjacent apartment to permit development acquired as park.

It would serve as a missing link in the parallel to Yonge series of parks.

Alexander Park is directly to the north.

1611938683063.png

The size is roughly 0.2ha or 0.5 acres; and given its lack of utility for development should be available for a reasonable price.

The office space is inadequate

The architecture regrettable.

And this is as stupid a spot for an on-site parkland dedication as I've seen; and that is saying something.

There are existing green spaces nearby that might benefit from a small addition.

There is no point to such an absurdly small space.

Worth adding, the land value next to may of those (existing) parks would be considerably lower in many cases, and therefore allow a large amount of space to be acquired.
That sidewalk needs widening for people waiting for the streetcar and accessing the subway station. A POPS sure. It's just going to be concrete + pavers + benches + couple trees for functional practicality.

But as a parkland dedication, I don't buy it.

Seems the City got steamrolled at LPAT, given the GFA is up and this is now a parkland dedication contribution.

Could have take the cash-in-lieu and expanded the Yonge Subway overtop parkettes by purchasing adjacent house properties like they are doing on Dundonald for The ONE.

In the immediate area, I would rather see this lot on Wood Street, used as public parking, and too close to an adjacent apartment to permit development acquired as park.

It would serve as a missing link in the parallel to Yonge series of parks.

Alexander Park is directly to the north.

View attachment 296945

The size is roughly 0.2ha or 0.5 acres; and given its lack of utility for development should be available for a reasonable price.
I walk through this parking lot most days, as it's a fast route to/from College St. It would be so much nicer as a linear park. Combined with turning the Maitland-Wellesley parking lot into a park and adding a connection between the Alexander St Parkette and Maitland, we'd have a series of linear parks and alleys (in the couple blocks where we cant fit a park, like beside Wellesley station or the hydro building) the whole way from College to Charles (and to Hayden and Bloor-Yonge Station via the parking garage). A nice alternative to walking along Yonge, imo.

I walk through this parking lot most days, as it's a fast route to/from College St. It would be so much nicer as a linear park. Combined with turning the Maitland-Wellesley parking lot into a park and adding a connection between the Alexander St Parkette and Maitland, we'd have a series of linear parks and alleys (in the couple blocks where we cant fit a park, like beside Wellesley station or the hydro building) the whole way from College to Charles (and to Hayden and Bloor-Yonge Station via the parking garage). A nice alternative to walking along Yonge, imo.

Are you sure we can't fit a park beside Wellesley stn?

1611962931897.png

You're looking at space adjacent to the laneway, next to the station.

That's roughly 1/3 of that laneway/block in length.

Obviously, one would have to provide for loading/garbage functions; but I think that would be quite do-able.

On a gross basis, it's 6,000ft2

If the heritage properties facing Yonge were lovingly restored; and a restaurant or 2 had back patios facing a courtyard style park.............

The laneway done in decorative pavers, with elegant lighting, and vines growing up the sides of adjacent buildings.........

Just a thought....

Are you sure we can't fit a park beside Wellesley stn?

View attachment 297004

You're looking at space adjacent to the laneway, next to the station.

That's roughly 1/3 of that laneway/block in length.

Obviously, one would have to provide for loading/garbage functions; but I think that would be quite do-able.

On a gross basis, it's 6,000ft2

If the heritage properties facing Yonge were lovingly restored; and a restaurant or 2 had back patios facing a courtyard style park.............

The laneway done in decorative pavers, with elegant lighting, and vines growing up the sides of adjacent buildings.........

Just a thought....
I was originally thinking of the tiny pedestrian laneway on the other side next to the new entrance and totally forgot about this space. Turning this into a park/patio space would be amazing!

I think that the revised version is fresh air. I’m totally amazed with some of the knee jerk criticisms here.

So it’s perhaps a tad retro-pomo, I can’t actually find anything really wrong with that.

Or, perhaps this is what nearby Aura should have been.

The "revised" design here is ridiculously bad. I mean it's laughable. It's scraping the bottom of the Aura barrel. Luckily, this probably is nothing more than an air-rights exercise. Fingers crossed.

I do agree, it's likely a way to test waters. I do like that they have to move to a 1 tower format, a 2-tower format on this site feels incredibly crowded to me and I'd like to see the tower rise out of a slightly wider podium, or something of the sorts.

The design is so bad that no self-respecting architect would want that in their portfolio. It looks like it's straight out of a Sims City game.

The "revised" design here is ridiculously bad. I mean it's laughable. It's scraping the bottom of the Aura barrel. Luckily, this probably is nothing more than an air-rights exercise. Fingers crossed.
Man you people blow this out of proportion! As for the Aura Tower it sit on a cheezy looking podium making it look bad. The Mirvish-Gehry proposal on King st ranks in first place and doesn't deserve the air rights for having a bunch of boxes stacked in the sky!

Back