Toronto 2000 Bathurst Street | 22.86m | 6s | Eldebron | BDP Quadrangle

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
1996 BATHURST ST
Ward 21 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

Application to demolish the existing buildings on the subject site and redevelop it with two 6- storey rental residential buildings. Eldebron is proposing to redevelop the subject site in two phases. The northern portion will be redeveloped in Phase A and the southern portion will be redeveloped in Phase B. At full-build out, the total gross floor area proposed for the subject site is 8,834 square metres. This results in an overall density of 3.52 times the area of the lot. The buildings will contain a total of 115 residential units, including 62 rental replacement units. A 2-level belowgrade parking garage is proposed to extend beneath both buildings.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 15 270565 STE 21 OZ Dec 30, 2015 Under Review

Existing:

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.00.37 PM.png

Proposed:

viewSupportingDoc-35-1.jpg

Attachments

• viewSupportingDoc-35-1.jpg
    viewSupportingDoc-35-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,095
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.00.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.00.37 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,231
It has a similar vibe to Superkul's condo on Harbord. Nice to see more colour being applied to condos.

Yes! Colour is a good thing.

p.s. these are my favourite render people; i.e. they don't look like douche bags on cell phones sporting a high-society air about them. Although see-through, these render people above look like decent neighbours ;)

Will be very interesting how Planning deals with this application. Bathurst, between Eglinton and St. Clair, is not an "Avenue" in the OP, but this block just south of Eglinton is designated "Mixed Use" (http://www1.toronto.ca/planning/landuse-all.pdf), probably because the block is primarily two-storey 4-plexes with doctors' offices at grade. Of course, arterials like Bathurst should be intensified, but the political realities, and flanking neighbourhoods of Cedarvale to the west and Forest Hill to the east will make this a hard-sell.

Much as this does provide some intensification and the proposed buildings look great, I actually rather like the existing buildings, which already are more dense than the surrounding area. Too bad this proposal isn't for the two-storey homes along Bathurst to the immediate north.

That said, from the landlord's perspective I find this development understandable as I the existing rental buildings look as though they require costly repair/updating. May as well build new and charge market rate if investment is required.

Will be very interesting how Planning deals with this application. Bathurst, between Eglinton and St. Clair, is not an "Avenue" in the OP, but this block just south of Eglinton is designated "Mixed Use" (http://www1.toronto.ca/planning/landuse-all.pdf), probably because the block is primarily two-storey 4-plexes with doctors' offices at grade. Of course, arterials like Bathurst should be intensified, but the political realities, and flanking neighbourhoods of Cedarvale to the west and Forest Hill to the east will make this a hard-sell.

Yep. Similar issue around Lamb's midrise development proposal on Broadview a block or so North of Queen about 7-8 years ago. Was absurd it wasn't allowed to go forward.

Will there be retail space?

No retail mentioned in any of the planning documents. The ground floor Bathurst frontage is indeed all residential.

This kind of rubbish pisses me off the most: take one of Toronto's most interesting strips of pre-war apartment architecture, knock it down and put up some garish block that fits more with a post-war strip further up Bathurst & Finch area.

I agree that the proposal is rather underwhelming but this block is not really that interesting architecturally, given that it's primarily houseform tudoresque fourplexes. Nowhere near the quality of the north-side of Eglinton east of Bathurst, containing some wonderful Page & Steele buildings from 1948:

foresthillmanorpanda.jpg

chalfontecourt3.jpg

foresthillmanorpanda3.jpg

foresthiimanorpanda2.jpg

Attachments

• foresthillmanorpanda.jpg
    foresthillmanorpanda.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,785
  • chalfontecourt3.jpg
    chalfontecourt3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,801
  • foresthillmanorpanda3.jpg